Tennessee Justice Center
For nearly 30 years, we at the Tennessee Justice Center (TJC) have been standing with Tennessee families and helping them access the basic necessities of life. We believe that all our neighbors have value and dignity, that all deserve the opportunity to thrive, and that our laws and public policy should reflect these shared values. Every day our courageous team works hard on behalf of and in partnership with Tennessee individuals, families, and communities.
Do you want to join our fight?
We are looking to hire an experienced attorney to provide individual legal services and policy solutions to advocate for access to quality and affordable health care, nutrition, and access to justice. If you are a creative thinker, are very organized, enjoy using the law to solve problems, and have experience with litigation and administrative advocacy, then this could be the opportunity for you. This position reports directly to our Legal Director and interacts regularly with our team of client advocates and our Casework Supervisor.
A typical day might look like this:
- Collaborating with our case management team on cases relating to healthcare access, nutrition access, and access to justice
- Conducting legal research and analysis focused on key issues affecting Tennesseans’ access to quality and affordable health care, especially issues related to Medicaid (TennCare), long-term care, and access to justice
- Provide direct assistance to clients navigating healthcare and nutrition assistance programs
- Interacting and maintaining relationships with clients who we represent in litigation
- Developing and conducting class action or impact litigation to remedy problems
- Helping to troubleshoot issues related to casework data collection necessary for grant deliverables
- Acting as project manager on grants related to improving health or nutrition outcomes related to children, seniors, and individuals with different abilities
- Making recommendations to the legal team about whether to accept representation
- Creating educational materials (e.g., reports, fact sheets, presentations, policy briefs) for key stakeholders
This opportunity might be for you if:
- You are licensed to practice law in Tennessee
- You have 2-4 years of litigation and administrative advocacy experience
- You enjoy developing novel legal theories and strategies to address complex problems
- You are able to work independently while managing multiple projects and deadlines
- You understand how and when to use litigation as an important tool in the advocate’s toolkit and have strong analytical and writing skills.
- You enjoy providing direct services and speaking with clients
This opportunity is even a better fit if:
- You have experience in public interest law and advocacy
- You have litigated complex cases, including trial experience
- You have knowledge of health care laws including the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid
- You have knowledge of safety net program laws including the Food Stamp Act and Social Security Act
Why you would want to join us:
The Tennessee Justice Center offers fulfilling, important work, professional development, amazing co-workers, competitive salary and excellent benefits, including paid maternity/paternity leave, retirement plan contribution, and high quality medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage. TJC is committed to equity and inclusion. People of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To Apply: Send us your cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Attorney” in the subject line of the email.
For more information about Tennessee Justice Center, visit tnjustice.org.
- Date Posted: May 10, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Legal
- Service Area: Social / Human Services