Senior Philanthropy Advisor
Planned Parenthood of Tennessee and North Mississippi
The Senior Philanthropy Advisor will lead PPTNM’s Major Gifts Team. S/he will develop strategies; implement and plan goals; manage, mentor, and guide staff; and is responsible for identification, research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of individual mid- and major-level donor prospects (mid- $1,000-$24,999, major- $25,000 and above) across the affiliate region, with emphasis on middle and east Tennessee. This position will also support fundraising for Tennessee Advocates for Planned Parenthood (TAPP) and Planned Parenthood TN Action Fund (PPTNAF).
- Lead, motivate, mentor, and evaluate the Major Gifts Team. Develop strategies, goals, plans and performance measures. Monitor activity and progress, utilizing metrics, toward goals. Work across departments and divisions, and with the team and individual officers, develop materials and research to adequately support the successful solicitation of mid- and major-level gifts.
- In partnership with the VP of External Affairs and the Senior Manager for Stewardship & Operations, develop an annual strategic plan for the mid- and major-level gifts program that identifies specific annual goals and a timeline for tracking achievement. Ensure systems are in place to maximize success of annual operating, restricted, TAPP and PPTNAF, and planned giving efforts.
- Monitors the departmental income and expense budgets and the day-to-day operations of the Major Gifts Team.
- Maintain and develop strong and engaged relationships with current mid- and major-level donors and develop new relationships through cultivation and prospecting opportunities via one-on-one visits, small groups and other meaningful contacts.
- Serve as the lead staff liaison for the Knoxville Community Board.
- Work closely and strategically with the VP of External Affairs, CEO, other senior staff, board members, and volunteers to engage them in key processes: major donor identification, research, cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation, as appropriate. Manage all of these processes.
- Work with the Major Gifts and Operations Teams to develop and implement a strategy for cultivation of mid- and major-level donors and prospects, including tours, targeted events, and presentations.
- Sustain and expand financial contributions from mid- and major-level donors and prospects.
- Represent PPTNM at key community events, using these opportunities as public relations, cultivation, and/or prospecting opportunities.
- Record donor interactions, relationships, and other relevant information in the donor database in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Approach donor strategy with the longevity of the affiliate, as well as the donor’s intent, in mind. Integrate planned and long-term stewardship plans as part of the solicitation process.
Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES FOR THIS POSITION:
- Requires an understanding of and commitment to quality healthcare and excellent customer service.
- Leadership: Creates an environment where people want to thrive and do their best work. Shares responsibility and accountability by handling and delegating tasks and decisions. Builds confidence in people by clearly defining expectations; listening to and giving feedback; mentoring. Ability to respond to changes with flexibility and creatively problem-solve.
- Work Management: Ability to think strategically and achieve organization’s goals relating to position. Effectively manages time as a resource and meets deadlines; establishes realistic priorities; schedules own time and activities effectively; gives balanced focus and attention to appropriate long- and short-term priorities. Develops action plans; leverages technology; anticipates obstacles; establishes check points and monitors progress. Ability to take decisive action.
- Building Relationships: Effective leadership capabilities; shows genuine interest in others’ needs and opinions; establishes rapport; earns the confidence and trust of others; demonstrates consistency between words and actions; delivers on commitments.
- Communication: Speaks and presents effectively in individual or group situations, including appropriate nonverbal communication. Expresses ideas in a clear, thorough and concise manner. Actively listens to what others say. Writes using good grammatical form and appropriate style. Expresses ideas in a clear, thorough and concise manner. Ability to write clear, structured, articulate written donor materials, proposals, and reports. Comfortable and knowledgeable with discussing topics relating to sexual and reproductive health.
- Integrity: Must be discreet and safeguard confidential information; can be relied on to act ethically.
- Creativity or Innovation: Demonstrates the ability to generate novel and valuable ideas and to use the ideas to develop new or improved processes, methods or systems.
- Adaptability or Flexibility: Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends and travel within and outside organization region as job dictates. Responds with flexibility to shifting priorities and changing work situations; recovers quickly from problems and setbacks; develops new skills to remain competitive. Adapts easily to change, sees the merits of differing positions, and adapts own positions and strategies in response to new information or changes to a situation.
- Coping with Demands of the Position: Uses effective problem solving while working under pressure, high volume of work demands and/or time demands; meets deadlines.
- Celebrates and exemplifies the core values of our organization: We tend to the team; we respect and honor all people; we jump in; we try and we learn; we care for our business; we return to our mission.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year College or higher preferred.
EXPERIENCE: At least five years of successful major gift fundraising experience, preferably in a team environment.
- 100% Employer paid Medical, Dental, Basic Life/AD&D, STD, LTD (Employee Only Coverage)
- Voluntary Vision, “Buy-Up” options on Basic Life, Spouse, & Dependent
- 401(k) plan with matching opportunity
- Plum Benefits & Pet Insurance
- Starting PTO of 15 vacation days within first year (pro-rated based on start date), 2 Floating Holidays and 9 Paid Holidays
How to Apply
TO APPLY: See the PPTNM Careers page HERE
- Date Posted: February 13, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Education
- Start Date: 03/16/2020
- Salary Range: $67,000-$72,000
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk; M-F, 8:30am-5pm; some nights and weekends