Discovery Center at Murfree Spring
Senior Director of Museum Experiences
Discovery Center at Murfree Spring
The Senior Director of Museum Experiences is a member of the museum’s senior staff and is responsible for the development and management of Discovery Center’s educational initiatives with programs and exhibits. This position requires vision and oversight for the development of staff and innovative and inquiry-based approaches to STEAM education.
This position will work collaboratively across every department in the museum, and more in depth with Audience and Community Engagement, Philanthropy, and Marketing. S/he will also lead the vision for developing new and continuing well-established revenue-based educational programs, field trips and mobile outreach. S/he will develop new strategies for identifying and cultivating new audiences and partnerships leading to increased program offerings and experiences.
Key areas of responsibility
- Lead the strategic vision and goals for the education department aligned with the museum’s mission through both revenue-based and access-based programs.
- Lead and grow a strong team of educators, including professional development, performance reviews, leave requests, staffing budget and staff duties and assignments.
- Work with the department on development, integration and evaluation of new and existing public programs, early childhood program (SPARK!) field trips, and mobile labs.
- Work closely with exhibits and marketing to develop and promote excellent STEM outcomes for school groups and the public throughout the program spaces in the museum.
- Serve as a primary communication link between the museum and the regional education community.
- Work closely with the museum’s Philanthropy department to initiate funding opportunities for new and innovative educational programs in line with the museum’s overall strategic goals.
- Create and manage a departmental budget and program-based grant budgets with the CEO, CFO, and VP of Audience and Community Engagement.
- Maintain and develop new relationships with informal learning institutions.
- Serve as an advocate for informal education.
- Represent the Discovery Center to the public and media regarding educational programs and events.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education and/or Experience
- Advanced degree in natural or physical sciences, science education, STEM education, museum studies, or related field or a combination of education and experience.
- Prefer 5 years of progressively responsible experience leading teams in the development of educational programs.
- Experience with a cultural institution is strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required:
- Experience building educational and public programs and partnerships.
- Management experience.
- Ability to present oneself as an ambassador of Discovery Center in the press and community, and with donors, partners, elected officials and other museum stakeholders.
- Experience working with young children, youth and families of diverse backgrounds and income levels.
- Knowledge of new media and latest learning technologies
- Ability to implement financial plans and budgets and identify, secure, and manage resources from traditional and non-traditional sources of funding.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with attention to detail and follow-through capabilities.
- Skills in database management, Google Suite or MS Office Suite, including Excel.
- Creativity and experience facilitating activities or leading demonstrations to large groups.
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Must possess valid Driver’s License and ability to drive.
Paid vacation, sick, holiday and parental leave.
401k with 3% match
Disability and life insurance
Family membership and discounts to camps and birthday parties
Health, dental, vision insurance
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume and three professional references to email@example.com. Phone calls not accepted.
- Date Posted: August 23, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 10/03/2022
- Salary Range: 50,000-70,000
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk. M-F 8:00am-4:30pm