Tennessee Housing Development Agency
Tennessee Housing Development Agency
(FULL-TIME LONG-TERM TEMPORARY)
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS THURSDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2021 AT 11:59PM
Reports to: Controller
Location: Nashville, TN
Full-time/Part-time: Full time Long-term temporary
Salary Grade: 36
Monthly Salary Range Minimum: $4,510
FLSA Classification: Exempt (03)
Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change due to changes in our business processes or other business-related reasons.
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for managing the professional accounting tasks of the division, including review and approval of work performed by others.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directly supervises staff; interviews, makes hiring recommendations, and trains employees; makes assignments and monitors work; develops employee skills and encourages growth and development; reviews and evaluates employee performance; addresses workplace issues and provides guidance, coaching, and disciplinary measures for staff; addresses personnel issues in conjunction with appropriate leadership and the Human Resources division.
- Ensures all accounting functions of the bond resolutions, operating account, or other reportable segments are performed, including the posting of all applicable accounting entries, completing all necessary account reconciliations, preparing any schedules necessary, and all related accounting tasks.
- Ensures all accounting and financial reporting functions of the grant programs are performed, including the posting of all applicable accounting entries, completing all necessary account reconciliations, preparing any schedules necessary, preparing any financial reports required, and all related accounting tasks. Periodically reviews federal grant guidelines for changes that impact accounting and financial reporting of grants, with the objective of maintaining compliance with such grantor requirements.
- Provides financial data to the organization’s management as requested so that management may consider such information in the management of such programs.
- Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of the Agency’s financial statements (including the notes to the financial statements, management discussions and analysis section, or other sections as applicable) by preparing one or more major sections, performing data analysis in preparation of the financial statements, or other related tasks as assigned.
- Prepares supporting schedules and documentation for periodic reports.
- Prepares or reviews a variety of professional accounting and other reports such as may relate to financial statements, quarterly and other reports.
- Reconciles bank statements, or reviews such documentation, maintained by THDA.
- Reconciles monthly account activity as reported by the trustee with internal account activity.
- Maintains fund accounting as mandated by bond indentures or state law, including the preparation of journal entries, various registers and support for monthly fund trial balances.
- Assists in the review of the major accounting system processes; identifies internal control deficiencies; offers recommendations for process improvements that consider both internal controls as well as process flow efficiencies; may serve as a subject matter expert for one or more professional software systems.
- Reviews work performed by other Division staff, and approves as required, based on assignment of the Division’s management.
- Prepares special reports for the Division Director as assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license in good standing.
- Three years of experience in responsible professional accounting work.
The above qualifications express the minimum standards of education and/or experience for this position. Other combinations of education and experience, if evaluated as equivalent, may be taken into consideration.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
- Ability to effectively manage staff.
- Ability to perform professional accounting work of considerable difficulty.
- Ability to apply accounting theory and technique to the solution of varied and complex fiscal problems and to devise workable solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintains credibility through sincerity, honesty, and discretion.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with internal and external constituents.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong time management skills; uses time effectively; consistently meets deadlines.
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality.
- Documents regularly, thoroughly, accurately, and completely.
- High level of detail and accuracy.
- Exercises good and consistently fair judgment, courtesy, and tact in dealing with the staff and public in giving and obtaining information.
- Computer literate; proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and the internet; able to effectively adapt to and use other computer systems as needed for daily activities; extensive knowledge and skill of professional accounting software.
The special demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk; reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
State of Tennessee positions that may involve driving responsibilities require candidates to meet the following minimum driver qualifications:
- A valid driver’s license
- For the past five years, the candidate’s driving record must not have record of the following violations: driving under the influence (DUI), reckless driving, license suspension for moving violations, more than 4 moving violations
BENEFITS: THDA offers an excellent benefits package: medical, dental, vision, and life insurance options; disability insurance; retirement plans; flexible benefit pre-tax accounts for medical, dependent care, transportation, and parking; annual leave and sick leave that begin accruing after the first month of employment; and 11 paid holidays per year. We also offer work-life balance opportunities through alternative work schedules, flexible schedules, and telecommuting.
How to Apply
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETE AND RESUME ATTACHED FOR CONSIDERATION
PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.THDA.ORG AND FOLLOW THE ONLINE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Date Posted: October 8, 2021
- Type: Contract / Temp
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Government
- Salary Range: $4,510