Historic Travellers Rest
Seasonal Camp Counselor
Historic Travellers Rest
As a camp counselor, assist with the daily camp operations, and ensure safety and well-being of campers. Assist in implementing all other summer camps. Responsibilities include upholding the museum rules concerning the care and safety of the visitors, house, collection, and other cultural resources at the site. Duties may involve working outside of normal working hours.
- Developing, supervising, and participating in camp-wide programming activities with day campers of different ages.
- A knowledge and love for 19th century history, particularly of Middle Tennessee.
- A knowledge of period clothing and lifestyles from the early 19th century is encouraged.
- Build relationships with all day campers by showing compassion, empathy and understanding.
- Have a main leadership role in certain camp sessions. Particularly Miss Mary’s Academy (an 1810s female academy themed immersion camp).
- Be a leader in all camp activities.
- Keep all camp used areas clean and organized.
- Work with other Camp & Interpretive Staff at Travellers Rest to ensure all camps run smoothly.
- Communicate material needs to Senior Staff.
- Promote the history and importance of Travellers Rest.
- Be a face and voice of Travellers Rest Historic House Museum.
- Ability to open and close the site (includes handling of gate, alarms and locks.)
- Adapts strategy to changing conditions
- Communicates changes effectively
- Speaks clearly and effectively in positive and negative situations
- Demonstrates respect and sensitivity of cultural differences
- Demonstrates ability to effectively balance task-oriented and process-oriented duties
- Continues to build on knowledge and skills
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of extensive standing, walking, use of fingers, talking, hearing and repetitive motions
- Must be able to occasionally lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects up to 50 lbs.
- 18 years of age or older
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to tolerate numerous interruptions throughout the day
- Must have above average communication and organizational skills
- Must be able to multitask, think outside the box and troubleshoot problems
- Must have the ability to work with all types of people, especially children
- Must be flexible with time
No benefits for position as it is seasonal.
How to Apply
Send resumé and cover letter to email@example.com. Call (615) 832-8197 ext.13 for more information.
- Date Posted: March 15, 2023
- Type: Contract / Temp
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 05/01/2023
- Salary Range: 14.00/hour
- Working Hours: 37.5 hrs/wk; Mon-Fri, 8:30am-4pm