YMCA of Middle Tennessee
School Age Services Program Specialist
YMCA of Middle Tennessee
Consistent with the Christian mission and vision of the YMCA of Middle TN, and in cooperation with other YMCA staff, under the direction of the Program Operations Director, the Program Specialist is a leader and driver of the YMCA of Middle Tennessee School Age Services before and after-school programs and summer program initiatives in Davidson County. S/he is an expert in the field with a proven track record of driving quality results in a fast paced a dynamic and multi-faceted organization and must understand the basic concepts, vision and mission of the YMCA to ensure the successful operation of all facets of these programs and the development of new program initiatives including staff leadership and development, financial development, community relations and collaborations, partnerships and policy, budgeting and financial results.
The YMCA of Middle Tennessee viewed by parents, school systems and the community as the leader in Youth Development and the before and after-school program of choice in the Middle Tennessee area. A steady growth in program scope and quality, resulting in annual targeted enrollments and revenue being met or exceeded. High quality after school programs with engaged, caring, trained, professional staff. Positive working relationships with school districts, administrators, YMCA centers and parents. Innovative and creative curriculum, health and wellness components and measurable results in strengthening kids and families in healthy spirit, mind and body.
- Supports the YMCA mission and models the YMCA core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Provides leadership and direction of the vision for the operations of all school age programs in the assigned county.
- Ensures each SAS program is in compliance with DHS, YMCA and school policies and procedures.
- Increases enrollment in before and after school programming, breaks and Summer Adventure Programs.
- Builds authentic relationships with current school partnerships, county director of schools and school sites to increase participant enrollment on a yearly basis.
- Attends monthly county School Board Meetings and effectively communicates the benefits of the Y’s before and after school program.
- Ensures quality recruitment, hiring and training of staff in assigned county. Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible and meet YMCA and DHS training requirements
- Builds a supportive relationship with site leadership team, evaluates strengths and weaknesses and creates a staff training and development plan that complements their current role and their future roles
- Responsible for fostering an environment where staff motivation, recognition, and teamwork thrive; assists with the development of a staff celebration and recognition plan to increase staff morale and reduce staff turnover.
- Responsible for setting up operational systems that are accurate and effective.
- Effectively creates and manages the SAS county budget.
- Ensures site staffing schedules are in compliance, and the program and schedule are based on actual attendance numbers and needs of program.
- Visits all assigned sites a minimum of once a month and evaluates quality and implementation of program objectives that strive to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for program participants and parents.
- Builds and supports parents of our youth by providing parent education classes and seeks reflection/feedback on a regular basis regarding needs of current youth being served.
- Works in conjunction with the healthy living team to execute health strategies and embrace new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better participant experience.
- Passion, enthusiasm, and commitment to the mission and cause of the YMCA
- Superior supervisory skills, communication and conflict resolution skills, and the ability to inspire and motivate staff, volunteers, members and participants to develop an effective team and create a culture of service
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
- Knowledge and expertise in Child and Youth Development, programming and DHS
- Knowledge of CACFP Program Requirements
- Must present a professional image and possess and demonstrate sound judgment, independent thinking, and initiative
- Must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline oriented workplace
- Highly organized with the ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other software programs, as well as the ability to use most office equipment
- Ability to travel to multiple locations and ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
- Minimum 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree in education, social work or related field preferred
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in managing programs (designing, implementing, and evaluating youth development programs) to include at least two years directly supervising staff.
- Multilingual preferred
For more information on working at the YMCA of Middle Tennessee, please visit ymcamidtn.org/careers.
How to Apply
Click HERE to apply online!
- Date Posted: May 24, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: Starts at $1,918.46 per pay period, depending on experience
- Working Hours: Monday - Friday, typically 8am - 5pm