National Museum of African American Music
Sales and Event Coordinator
National Museum of African American Music
The NMAAM Sales and Events Coordinator will assist in the events sales process and coordinate production of Museum events. The incumbent will ensure events are successful and cost-effective, paying attention to budget, time constraints and museum guidelines. The NMAAM Sales and Events Coordiantor is, above all, a project manager who understands marketing and sales techniques. Key skills include generating fresh ideas and being organized.
NMAAM is the only museum dedicated to preserving the legacy and celebrating the accomplishments of the many music genres created, influenced, or inspired by African Americans. The Museum will share the story of the American Soundtrack, integrating history and interactive technology to bring the musical heroes of the past into the present.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Qualify and send initial correspondence for all leads and inquiries that come through the Events inbox, emails, phone calls, etc., as well as build event in Planning Pod.
- Answer phone and monitor voicemails
- Provide coordination of sales process including contracts, event timelines and invoicing.
- Service all Internal Events (Trainings, Education, Development, and Executive Events); this includes reserving space, creating Resumes
- Assist in event planning from start to finish according to requirements, target audience and objectives
- Come up with suggestions to enhance the event’s success
- Supervise all staff (event coordinators, caterers etc.)
- Approve all aspects before the day of the event
- Ensure event is completed smoothly and step up to resolve any problems that might occur
Logistics and Reporting
- Prepare budgets and ensure adherence
- Source and negotiate with vendors and suppliers
- Coordinate 3rd party personnel (DJs, waiters etc.)
- Coordinate all operations
- Analyze the event’s success and prepare reports
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent; bachelor’s degree in marketing, hospitality, event management, or related field a plus
- 2+ years of event planning experience
- One or more years in sales support and administrative work
- Skilled in project management
- Knowledge of KPIs and marketing techniques for event management
- Computer savvy; proficient in MS Office
- Supports the mission, vision and strategic goals of NMAAM to serve both internal and external customers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills.
- Conducts self in a professional manner; maintains appropriate professional appearance.
- Follows and supports policies and procedures of NMAAM.
- Participates as a team member utilizing a collaborative style to achieve mutual goals.
- Organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Timely follow up and ability to adhere to deadlines
- Excellent communication skills demonstrated through clear, concise verbal and written communication
- Ability to act as ambassador of NMAAM and demonstrate confidence in knowledge of the history, brand values, vision, and direction
- Outstanding negotiation ability
- A knack for problem-solving
- Customer-service orientation
- Substantial portfolio of successfully managed events
- Sales skills and an aptitude for building productive business relationships
- Able to oversee multiple projects independently
All Staff Duties:
- Serves as leader to assure strong communications between NMAAM and all external constituents.
- Actively seeks to learn the history of NMAAM.
- Supports and promotes the museum’s mission.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of special events.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
NMAAM offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits and compensation package that includes medical, dental, and vision coverage, company paid life and short-term disability, telemedicine program, generous paid time off, and a matched 401(k).
How to Apply
Interested in joining us? Please use this link to apply.
- Date Posted: October 15, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 11/01/2021
- Salary Range: $40k - $45k Annually
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk; M-F with some evening and weekends