Tennessee Housing Development Agency
Tennessee Housing Development Agency
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, AUGUST 27, 2021 AT 11:59PM
Division: Research and Planning
Reports to: Director of Research and Planning
Location: Nashville, TN
Salary Grade: 32
Monthly Salary Range Minimum: $3,710
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt (01)
Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change due to changes in our business processes or other business-related reasons.
POSITION SUMMARY: Conducts housing research and planning projects as part of a team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Designs, plans and executes research on economic, social and policy facets of housing programs, policies, and needs; collaborates with division staff, other THDA staff, and/or field experts in both the design and execution of projects where programmatic or field expertise is needed.
- Performs descriptive and quasi-experimental statistical analysis on large quantitative datasets using Stata or R.
- Provides spatial data analysis and display for division research projects and agency communications.
- Analyzes and evaluates policy implications; presents relevant findings in writing and in multimedia reports, articles, policy issue briefs, working papers, study findings, fact sheets and executive summaries.
- May assist with the preparation of the statewide comprehensive housing plans and reports in accordance with U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) regulations, including the Consolidated Plan and annual Action, Plan, Consolidated Annual Performance Evaluation Report and Substantial Amendments.
- Provides market analysis for housing demand and need.
- Plans and participates in multimedia presentations and public meetings at venues across the state.
- Sources, collects, and utilizes special purpose data for planning and programmatic purposes.
- Monitors federal regulations for changes and impacts to programs and organizational planning.
- Completes ad hoc reports in response to executive inquiries.
- Receives and responds to requests for information from other divisions, the general public, agency partners, private organizations, and other governmental agencies, in accordance with organizational customer service guidelines.
- May manage technical assistance or data contracts.
- Completes other technical, analytical, GIS-related, and administrative projects as needed.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in the social sciences, public administration, or closely related field including at least one course in statistics and one upper-division or graduate course in discipline-specific research methodology preferred.
- Experience with using and analyzing large datasets and conducting quantitative analyses using R or Stata.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas is preferred: housing finance; real estate market analysis; municipal finance, urban planning, community development, survey administration; construction or design (including energy efficient construction); local government policy (property taxes and assessment, zoning, etc.)
The above qualifications express the minimum standards of education and/or experience for this position. Other combinations of education and experience, if evaluated as equivalent, may be taken into consideration.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
- Ability to conduct spatial analyses and develop maps in GIS
- Ability to conduct descriptive statistical analysis (e.g. cross-tabulations, regressions, and chi-square tests) using syntax or code in R or Stata.
- Ability to clean, merge, and engineer large administrative datasets using R or Stata.
- Ability to synthesize complex policy and programmatic information into program relevant research to help with the management and discussion of THDA policy and strategic priorities.
- Ability to develop and execute a research plan (including hypotheses, research design, data & methodology, and timeline) and synthesize and compile findings into appropriate deliverables.
- Ability to write professional and technical reports, involving combinations of maps, graphs, charts, tables and text, for diverse audiences.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Competent in effective public speaking.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to handle multiple priorities and consistently meet established deadlines.
- Exercises good judgment in evaluating complex situations.
- Ability to adjust to frequent procedural changes.
- Consistently documents communication and work products in an accurate and timely manner.
- Shows a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with internal and external constituents.
- Exercises good and consistently fair judgment, courtesy, and tact in dealing with the staff and public in giving and obtaining information.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and the internet; able to effectively adapt to and use other computer systems as needed for daily activities.
The special demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Current, valid driver’s license from domicile state and the ability to drive.
- Occasional in-state and out-of-state travel, including overnight travel.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk; reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
State of Tennessee positions that may involve driving responsibilities require candidates to meet the following minimum driver qualifications:
- A valid driver’s license
- For the past five years, the candidate’s driving record must not have record of the following violations: driving under the influence (DUI), reckless driving, license suspension for moving violations, more than 4 moving violations
BENEFITS: THDA offers an excellent benefits package: medical, dental, vision, and life insurance options; disability insurance; retirement plans; flexible benefit pre-tax accounts for medical, dependent care, transportation, and parking; annual leave and sick leave that begin accruing after the first month of employment; and 11 paid holidays per year. We also offer work-life balance opportunities through alternative work schedules, flexible schedules, and telecommuting.
How to Apply
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETE AND RESUME ATTACHED FOR CONSIDERATION
PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.THDA.ORG AND FOLLOW THE ONLINE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Date Posted: August 2, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Government
- Salary Range: $3,710