First Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashville
Religious Education Coordinator
First Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashville
The First Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashville (FUUN), a liberal religious community, is seeking a 20-hour-a-week Religious Education Coordinator to provide support to Religious Education/Faith Development programs for children, youth, and adults with specific emphasis on Youth Programs and Our Whole Lives (OWL) classes for children and youth. This position reports to and works closely with the Director of Lifespan Religious Education (DLRE).
This is the working job description that is subject to change dependent upon what skills the candidate brings to the role. Depending upon the pandemic, the individual may start remotely but the role will return to in-person when campus reopens.
This is a brief overview of duties and responsibilities this position will be responsible for. During times of pandemic, this list has and will change based upon the needs of the church and the ability for children, youth, and adults to meet.
- Oversee all details for Youth Group (High School program) and OWL program which include scheduling, reserving, and preparing spaces, supplies, and equipment as requested.
- Support Sunday School for children as needed.
- Coordinate with DLRE, ministers, staff, volunteers, and youth for annual Youth Sunday service.
- Recruit, vet per safe congregation policy, train, schedule, and retain volunteers.
- Utilize and update the church database to maintain registration for all children and youth programs as well as faith development groups. Track and report attendance for all programs.
- Maintain Religious Education forms and documents.
- Perform communication tasks such as weekly announcements, web page content, newsletter articles, youth Facebook page, Yahoo groups, Google docs, and other tasks as technologies change.
Minimum Qualifications include:
- MS-Office adept, especially Word and Excel
- Experience with church management software preferred
- Familiar and comfortable with social media
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Familiar with audiovisual equipment (sound, production/projection) preferred
- Experience in successfully recruiting and supporting volunteers
- Good time management skills, including organization and attention to detail
- Can exercise sensitivity and care, while observing appropriate boundaries, when working with congregants
- Aligned with Unitarian Universalist values
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, use hands in repetitive motion tasks, handle objects, walk up and down stairs, occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
The employee is required to be available to work outside of regular business hours which includes Sunday mornings and some occasional weekday evening hours. Some hours may continue remotely, with specifics to be agreed to with the Director of Lifespan Religious Education (DLRE). The employee must be able to work cooperatively with other staff members and with volunteers.
Diversity and Inclusion at First Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashville
Our belief in the inherent dignity and worth of every person motivates everything we do at FUUN. We strive to maintain a workplace where all employees are respected and included, where individual experiences are honored, and where both glowing and challenging feedback is appreciated.
FUUN is highly committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment. People with disabilites, people of color, and people from minority communities are encouraged to apply.
Benefits, based upon UUA guidelines, include:
- Ability to work remote during the pandemic and while the church campus is meeting online. Upon returning to in-person partial hours may continue remotely.
- Long Term Disability & Life Insurance paid at 100% by employer.
- Health Insurance plans with premiums paid at 40% by employer with HSA option that includes employer contributions.
- Retirement plan eligible to make employee contributions from date of hire, employer contributing 10% of salary after one year of employment.
- Generous PTO.
- Paid membership to Liberal Religious Educators Association (LREDA), the Unitarian Universalist professional organization for religious educators.
- Professional expense, with the amount depending on budgetary considerations.
How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and any supporting materials to Hiring@thefuun.org. No phone calls please.
Position is Part-time, hourly, with a start date to begin as soon as position is filled.
The salary range is $15-$17/hour. FUUN provides benefits as per UUA recommendations.
- Date Posted: May 12, 2021
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 06/01/2021
- Salary Range: $15-$17/hour
- Working Hours: The employee is required to be available to work outside of regular business hours which includes Sunday mornings and some occasional weekday evening hours. Position will begin remotely. Some hours may continue remotely, with specifics to be agreed upon.