Refugee Benefits Specialist
Catholic Charities is seeking candidates for the position of Refugee Benefits Specialist in the Refugee and Immigration Services department. This is a full-time position located 2806 McGavock Pike, Nashville, Tennessee. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. with some flexibility required.
The Refugee Benefits Specialist will provide information and assistance to refugees, asylees, entrants and foreign-born human trafficking victims for enrollment in the Tennessee Department of Human Services (DHS) benefits for which they are eligible; conduct community outreach among the immigrant communities to promote awareness of State benefits and eligibility requirements; create and provide training and assistance to DHS employees regarding these immigrant populations and their eligibility for benefits; and serve as the main point of contact for DHS and eligible clients for assistance, enrollment/re-enrollment, and problem-solving in regards to DHS benefits.
Other Skills or Requirements:
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Bilingual in common refugee language preferred.
- Knowledge/experience with benefit programs/social service programs for residents of Nashville and surrounding counties.
- Experience in presenting to formal and informal groups, including professional community partners.
- Knowledge of human behavior and an ability to adapt and use various methods while meeting the needs of newcomers.
- Ability to facilitate intercultural communication and to create an environment where differences are respected.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, curtesy, and tact in dealing with the public and staff.
- Ability to handle confidential information with extreme professionalism.
- Attention to detail and adherence to deadlines.
- Ability to plan and organize work.
- Ability to follow tasks through to completion.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well as a team and independently with minimal direction.
- Ability to go up and down steps and to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field preferred or five years of relevant work experience.
- Experience working across cultures.
- Experience presenting to small and large groups preferred.
Competive salary with excellent benefits including 2 week paid vacation the first year in addition to paid sick leave. Medical, life, and disability insurance offered.
How to Apply
Please send resuem and cover letter with salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date Posted: March 22, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 04/06/2021
- Salary Range: $35,000
- Working Hours: 37-1/2 hrs/wk; 8:00am - 4:30pm