Public Relations Manager
Position: Public Relations Manager
Reports To: Director of Sales and Marketing
Area of Responsibility: Marketing
Wage Classification: Salaried, Exempt
Position Summary: The Public Relation Manager is a front-facing, key member of Nashville Ballet’s administrative staff. Responsible for overseeing the public presence of Nashville Ballet, The Public Relations Manager creates and maintains a visible and favorable public image of the organization through media relations and communications. This employee engages with all departments and requires a thorough understanding of all programs and facets of the organization.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Media Relations – Assess and respond reactively to media inquiries. Proactively seek out strategic media opportunities that further the strategic goals of Nashville Ballet, and keep the organization in the public eye as much as possible. This includes award nominations, content submission, news releases, pitching, planning for editorial calendars, personnel announcements/profiles, event listings/calendars, advertorials, and other opportunities across media formats. This also includes direct coordination with the Development team, Ballet Ball Co-Chairs and Ballet Ball PR Committee to execute and oversee publicity efforts of Ballet Ball.
- Writing/Editing for Internal and External Communication – Serve as editor-in-chief of the organization; prepare and/or edit written materials for all facets of the organization that maintain a consistent message and voice. Assure accuracy in all communications (including Nashville Ballet and School of Nashville Ballet collateral, performance programs, advertising copy, website content, newsletters, etc.). Directly assist all departments in achieving this goal in internal and external communications. Maintain company style guide to assure brand consistency and management across the organization. Actively monitor communications from peer organizations to stay up to date on global current events as well as industry-specific trends.
- Strategic Communication – Create and oversee strategic communication plan and implementation timeline for each sector of Nashville Ballet’s organizational structure – performance season, School of Nashville Ballet, outreach initiatives, and Ballet Ball. Execute elements of strategic communications plan or oversee execution by staff members.
- Social Media – Develop overall social media strategy for organization, act as primary manager of content and oversee execution by other team members.
- Direct Marketing Communications – Oversee all aspects of marketing plans that utilize direct email communication and execute single ticket campaign-related emails. Utilize email platform Wordfly to identify appropriate messaging and segment audiences for most effective direct communications possible. Oversee all email communication and assist other departments to create one cohesive plan.
- Utilization of Tessitura (Training Provided) – Collaborate with marketing team to generate targeted lists for Nashville Ballet email communications.
- Strategic Communication – Contribute creative ideas to the strategic communication plan and implementation timeline for each sector of Nashville Ballet’s organizational structure – performance season, School of Nashville Ballet, Community Engagement initiatives and Ballet Ball. Execute elements of strategic communications plan, as assigned.
- Media Training and Spokesperson – Train and prepare staff and dancers for potential and acquired media opportunities through media training, preparation of talking points, and rehearsal. When necessary, serve as spokesperson for the organization in public forums.
- Crisis Communication – Provide support to Nashville Ballet leadership in reaction to crisis situations.
- Publicity – Develop specific plans and execute in cooperation with the other members of the marketing department to secure positive publicity for Nashville Ballet in the community. Establish and maintain relationships with community organizations and individuals with whom Nashville Ballet shares a target audience or can collaborate on publicity opportunities. This may include events, promotions, contests, calendars, listings, etc.
- Customer Service, plus Event Management – Provide staff support at Nashville Ballet performances and events, in the form of media liaison, dancer manager, merchandise sales, customer service and patron engagement.
- Administrative Tasks – Under the oversight of DSM, fulfill any other additional tasks as assigned.
- Coordinate with other departments to identify communication needs and provide assistance when needed.
- Communicate with outside artists and contract employees to gather necessary publicity information.
- Maintain up-to-date media contact lists and manage relationships with members of the media.
- Gather company statistics from throughout the organization to use for publicity purposes.
- Monitor all media and save relevant clips in physical and electronic forms for archiving and future reference.
- Maintain a proactive, solutions-oriented attitude.
- Work autonomously to execute daily tasks, and as a member of a group to achieve strategic goals.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are a non-exhaustive list of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to handle, feel, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms above the shoulder. The employee is frequently required to sit and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative to those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Work Requirements and Qualifications
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or similar field
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of media industry, preferably local media outlets
- Proven ability to work autonomously
- Possess a desire and ability to actively engage with the artform of ballet
- Strong aptitude in presentation and public speaking
- Adept at facilitating connections
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Willingness to learn new systems and technologies (training will be provided on specific systems)
- Word processing/spreadsheet/database skills
- Familiarity with Adobe Suite
- Experience: 3 to 5 years of experience in news, public relations, strategic communications, corporate communications or other relevant work experience.
- Equipment: standard office equipment including computer and software, phone, copier, etc. Competency on both PC and MAC platform preferred.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this document is intended to be an accurate description of the current job, circumstances may require that other, or different tasks be performed (e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).
Health and dental insurance, 401k election, paid vacation and sick days, EAP, life insurance
How to Apply
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
- Date Posted: July 27, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Arts / Culture