Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN
Program Specialist, Sports Buddies
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN
JOB TITLE: Program Specialist, Sports Buddies
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Match Support
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: No
FLSA STATUS: Full-Time, Salary, Exempt
LOCATION: Nashville, agencywide work
BIGGER AND BETTER TOGETHER
For over 50 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee has served young people in the Middle TN region. Our work supports our belief that every child has the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (Bigs) and youth (Littles). Through our commitment to quality, innovation, and the passion we have for our work, we develop and sustain positive, life-changing relationships that have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of our youth and the adults who mentor them.
Our Mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. As noted by our Vision, we are driven by a future in which all youth achieve their full potential.
We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. We know that teams perform at their highest when they feel supported and that they belong. Each of our team members brings unique perspectives and skills, and we are committed to building a culture where voices are heard, differences are celebrated, and everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work. At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN, you will be inspired by talented, passionate colleagues who will motivate you to do and be your best. We are bigger and better together!
About the Role
Each employee at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee helps to extend the mission of the agency in particular ways as outlined in the position description. The essential functions of the position include but are not limited to the following:
Day to day: Big Brothers Big Sisters seeks a Program Specialist who will thrive in a growing organization that is dedicated to positively impacting more youth through high quality, 1-to-1 mentoring. This position will connect children with positive adult mentors that can help empower and inspire youth to reach their full, inherent potential, especially youth of color who are disproportionately impacted by systemic barriers. This staff member will be primarily responsible for enrolling, introducing, and supporting a caseload of matches in our Sports Buddies program. This person will also assist with facilitating weekly match activities for these matches. Position oversight will include quality program delivery as defined by BBBSA national standards, maintaining and enhancing relationships, and a focus on ensuring that families and volunteers matched in the program have a safe, beneficial and positive experience.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, be organized, be able to provide a positive customer experience, be able to multi-task, and have a passion for improving the lives of young people and our underrepresented youth. This team member will be passionate about and able to engage mentors and community partners from diverse communities, especially within communities of color. Saturday hours are required with some evening hours required. People from the communities we serve are especially encouraged to apply.
- Assess volunteers, parents and children for appropriate program participation by conducting initial and update interviews of children and volunteers. Obtain collateral material needed for the assessment purposes including criminal background checks, references, school and counseling information.
- Provide timely and comprehensive assessments and recommendations for participation in the program based upon assessments of each individual.
- Make matching decisions that have the potential to result in strong mentor/mentee relationships. Create match proposals and introductions based on assessment information obtained in the intake and assessment processes.
- Maintain an active match support caseload proportionate to enrollment duties, continually assess match relationships focusing on: child safety, match relationship development, positive youth development and volunteer satisfaction. Real and/or potential problems and barriers are identified, addressed and resolved as early as possible. Provide match support on a frequency according to BBBS Standards, at a minimum.
- Assess and provide for individual training needs, information and support needs for each match participant to assure a positive youth development experience for the child, and successful and satisfying experience for the volunteer
- Ensure high-level proficiency in applying child safety and risk management knowledge, policies and procedures throughout all aspects of job function. Identify child safety issues for volunteers, children, and their families.
- Attend and assist with the facilitation of weekly Saturday activities for matches hosted by BBBS. Engage with mentors and mentees to establish rapport and to encourage relationship-building.
- Regularly collaborate with other service delivery staff to ensure smooth transition among functions.
- Maintain documentation to assure accountability, effectiveness, and efficiency.
- Apply the practices and principles attained in your BBBSMT trainings/on-going professional development/coaching to all mentors, mentees, and families.
- Regularly available on evenings to support program activities and events, as well as to best reach clients.
- Participate in required trainings/on-going professional development in the areas of:
- Race and Equity
- LGBTQ Competency and Support Strategies
- Youth Development Best Practice
- Trauma Informed Practices
Agency Support Responsibilities:
- Utilize educational opportunities and related resources to improve agency service
- Promote and maintain cooperative working relationships with partner organizations
- Participate in agency events to assist with annual fundraising goals
- Assume other responsibilities as they arise
This Job May Be For You…
- Access to reliable automobile, valid driver’s license, auto insurance required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills reflecting solid customer service both in-person and via the telephone
- Well-developed writing skills with an understanding of the need for thorough, accurate, complete record keeping, reporting and coordination.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to focus on details.
- Excellent time management skills and able to multi-task and set priorities. Ability to deal effectively with changing job requirements and shifting priorities.
- Understanding of child development and family dynamics
- Understanding of issues/barriers that impact children and families from underserved populations.
- Ability to collect meaningful data and draw solid conclusions
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to work independently exercising good judgment, decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment required
- Understanding of confidentiality and ability to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive information required
- Bilingual applicants encouraged to apply
- Youth-serving experience, especially working with youth of color and/or from marginalized communities, or a Bachelor’s degree/college coursework in Social Work or a related field
- Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Proposed Schedule to accommodate the families, youth and volunteers we serve: Tuesday-Saturday work schedule with two evenings per week.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, physical demands and required skills. BBBS of Middle Tennessee may at its discretion add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
Because we hire the best people and value our staff, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN works hard to provide competitive benefits to our team. Our comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)- generous portion is paid by BBBSMT
- Domestic Partner Benefits
- Company Paid Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability
- Immediate enrollment in our 403B — We match 50% of what you contribute up to 6% of pay. Staff are vested after 12 months of employment
- Training & Development Programs
- Opportunities for advancement- we promote from within!
- 20 days of paid time off
- 16 paid holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Years
- Flexible work schedule
To see more of the impact we are making: http://www.mentorakid.org
How to Apply
If this sounds like the position and organization for you, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with
“Your Name – Sports Buddies” in the subject line OR mail to
Director of Employee Experience
1704 Charlotte Ave. Suite 130
Nashville, TN 37203
No phone calls, please. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Big Brothers Big sisters of Middle Tennessee celebrates diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Date Posted: March 10, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth