Diverse Learners Cooperative
Program Specialist, Special Education
Diverse Learners Cooperative
The DLC is seeking an exceptional PROGRAM SPECIALIST who is excited to share in our mission of dramatically improving educational opportunities for diverse learners.
We believe that students of all abilities and backgrounds deserve to have access to high quality, inclusive educational opportunities led by empowered and effective educators. The Diverse Learners Cooperative is a nonprofit organization that connects teachers and leaders with professional learning, resources, and networks that propel best practices for diverse learners and increase teacher retention.
As a program specialist, you’ll lead efforts to improve instructional accessibility in partnership with schools and education-focused organizations throughout the Nashville area. You will work with school teams to understand context, identify challenges to learner accessibility, recommend possible solutions, and support implementation of improved practices. This may take the form of facilitating professional learning communities, coaching teachers or leaders, designing and leading professional development sessions, and creating diverse learner focused resources. You will collaborate with site-based teachers and leaders, as well as the DLC team to ensure fidelity and excellence.
To grow your own skills as a program specialist, you will have the opportunity to participate in individual and team professional development. This position has flexibility to be part time or full time, and requires comfortability with working both remotely and on school sites in Nashville.
Program specialists support a portfolio of schools and education-focused organizations to improve outcomes for diverse learners (students with disabilities and English language learners). This includes:
– Leading diverse learner program reviews to diagnose needs and develop a comprehensive sense of partners’ approaches, assets, and needs
– Working closely with partners to develop actions plans in line with their values and resources that drive diverse learner success
– Building relationships with school and system leaders to support implementation of action plans and adjust course where needed
– Designing and facilitate professional development experiences with rich training materials, meaningful interactive learning experiences, and focus on application and accountability
– Serving as the primary point of contact to answer partners’ questions and help locate key resources and research to solve urgent challenges
– Collecting frequent and relevant data to guide implementation and understand DLC impact on student success
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, especially those similar to educators and students we serve knowing that this will drive us closer to our vision. Team members are inspired by the mission of serving students furthest from opportunity, believe deeply in advancing anti-racism, have the ability to cultivate strong relationships, and demonstrate commitment to continuous learning and reflection. As a growing non-profit, you play an integral role in shaping our organization’s growth and impact – and we’d expect all team members to assume ownership in this effort.
We expect Program Specialists to have:
– 6+ years of diverse learner educational experience and 2+ years of system-level leadership
– Advanced degree in Special Education or EL Education preferred
– Deep knowledge of strategies for increasing outcomes for students with exceptional needs, strong instructional instincts, and experience across variety of settings
– Data driven orientation with understanding of the shifts required for students, teachers, and leaders to best meet needs of diverse learners
– Experience leading professional development and/or system improvement for a school or district, with strong public presentation skills and ability to provide thoughtful and compelling insights
– Ability to be flexible, self-motivated, positive, and respond to the dynamics of a changing environment
– Strategic thinker and natural solution-seeker
– Strong team orientation, collaborative nature, and ability to engage in a remote work environment
– Ability to interact professionally with individuals from various professional and cultural backgrounds and effectively adjust communication style for a given audience
– Ability to successfully plan strategically, organize and prioritize projects, work on multiple tasks simultaneously and to exercise initiative to meet/exceed deadlines
– Proficiency in G Suite Tools (Docs, Forms, Sheets, etc)
DLC believes in creating a high performing and sustainable workplace and is committed to attracting and retaining diverse team members who believe in equipping and empowering school teams to serve all learners. A job at DLC encompassess competitive benefits, compensation commensurate with experience, professional development opportunities, and a team that cares about you as a person. Current benefits include: DLC provides health, dental, and vision insurance, competitive salaries, encourages flexible working locations, generous vacation time and office rest days, technology stipend, and a healthy professional development budget for self-directed learning.
How to Apply
Please submit your application here, including your resume and cover letter. The selection process will include a performance task as well as interviews with members of the Diverse Learners Cooperative team.
- Date Posted: August 20, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Education
- Start Date: 10/01/2021
- Salary Range: 62000-80000
- Working Hours: Flexible