Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN
Program Coordinator, Volunteer Engagement
Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN
Program Coordinator, Volunteer Engagement is responsible for cultivating and managing volunteer relationships and opportunities within the organization. This position is the primary contact for individuals seeking volunteer opportunities at the food bank and is responsible for providing an excellent experience for volunteers throughout the scheduling and on-site check-in process. This position is a blend of administration responsibilities and active project management. Though this role is largely administrative, up to 40% of this role is physically leading volunteer group service activities. This position supports and fosters our deep commitment to diversity and inclusion, which is the foundation for creating a culture of belonging for all personnel.
Schedules and coordinates all individual and group volunteer activities and manages the process from start to finish (approx. 60% of time each week, 23 hours).
- Maintains a calendar of volunteer opportunities for individual, group, and youth engagement in the following areas:
- Individual and group food sorting.
- Family night.
- Reception support.
- Produce truck.
- Senior food box distribution.
- Kroger reclaims.
- Farm to Families.
- Signature and 3rd party fundraising events.
- TN Promise.
- Court-ordered community service.
- Manages a high volume of volunteer communications via email and phone.
- Collaborates with potential volunteers to match their interests with the organization’s volunteer needs.
- Meets with group leaders to provide them with an overview of the volunteer scheduling process and activities offered.
- Communicates schedule changes to the internal team and other departments.
- Follows up with all volunteers to confirm their shift one week in advance of their scheduled shift.
- Ensures that all volunteers have completed the required waivers in advance of their shift.
- Provides confirmation of service for individuals who have service hour requirements.
- Team support and collaboration:
- Communicate regularly with the Manager, of Volunteer Engagement to determine warehouse scheduling needs.
- Collaborates with various internal larger cross-functional department team members to accommodate scheduling requests for VIP, donor groups, and engagement activities.
Customer Service – provides excellent customer service to all potential and scheduled volunteers ranging from VIP, civic, corporate, religious, and student groups, families, and individuals as well as those with school and court-ordered community service requirements.
- Serves as the Receptionist at the Welcome Desk in the Volunteer Engagement Center and is responsible for greeting volunteers and assisting them with the check-in process for the morning and afternoon shift each day.
- Communicates enthusiasm for the mission of Second Harvest and educates volunteers on the ways they can be involved in our mission.
- Responds to inquiries within 3 business days of the initial request.
- Provides detailed information to volunteers regarding what to expect during the shift, including policies and procedures, parking instructions, attire, warehouse safety, food safety, etc.
- Conducts facility tours, as needed.
VolunteerHub Database Management – manages volunteer records and scheduling requests utilizing the volunteer database and serves as primary organizational contact and expert on VolunteerHub.
- Maintains all aspects of group scheduling in the volunteer database, including creating landing pages and ongoing communication with group leaders.
- Build out the calendar in the database for all opportunities for three distribution centers, in accordance with organizational needs.
- Generates volunteer service hour reports, upon request.
Project Management – physically leads volunteer group service projects (up to approx. 40% of the time each week, 15 hours).
- Ensures that all volunteer projects are completed correctly and efficiently.
- Sets up project spaces and prepares supplies for the assigned projects.
- Ensures food safety standards are met by proper cleaning of workspaces after every shift.
- Manages a high volume of incoming inquiries and other daily responsibilities, while also providing face-to-face assistance to volunteers.
Other duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma (or equivalent) required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Experience: 2+ years of related experience and/or training required. Donor or Volunteer Database experience is preferred.
Skills & Capabilities:
- Organizes, coordinates, and directs projects.
- Oral and written communication abilities.
- Proficient technology and computer utilization, including the Microsoft Office
Competencies: Attention to detail, Result Orientation and Execution, Quality Improvement, Project Management.
Other requirements: Our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background, and Motor Vehicle Record. A current Driver’s License and automobile insurance are also required. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case-by-case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity, and job relation).
Compensation & Benefits: Second Harvest is proud to offer rich and affordable total compensation packages. Full-time employment includes 34+ days off, medical (employee-only is 100% employer paid), dental, vision, 403b retirement (up to 3% match, 5% base, length of service vesting), disability insurance (short and long term) and long-term care insurance.
Work with a purpose: As one of Middle Tennessee’s largest nonprofits, our local hunger relief work is uniquely rewarding, hands-on, and solutions-oriented. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, value-driven, and focused on results. A career with Second Harvest ensures that you not only earn a paycheck but also help your local community through meaningful work. If you are passionate about serving your neighbors in need and are committed to our mission of ending hunger, we invite you to join our 120+ person team in the fight against hunger, as we work to achieve our vision of a hunger-free community.
Award-winning workplace: We are a best-in-class workplace because we are passionate and people-focused – we listen, respect, care, and challenge each other so that our neighbors can count on us. Our employees have identified us among The Tennessean’s Top Workplaces eight times based solely on employee surveys and feedback. We are invested in our team and offer frequent whole-person wellness opportunities through our Harvest Wellbeing Program. We focus on staff physical and mental health, financial empowerment, personal and professional development as well as social and community engagement. There is ample opportunity to be engaged, have a work-life balance, and grow with Second Harvest.
DEIB & Equal Employment Opportunity: We celebrate and value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We are intentionally working to diversify our team so that our employees reflect the diverse communities that we serve. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply! Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented and diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential. We provide equal employment to all applicants and employees regardless of race, religion, color, gender, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or other legally protected characteristics.
How to Apply
You can express interest in joining our team, in any of the following ways:
- Online: employment application on our website: org/job-opportunities. Resumes and cover letters can be uploaded with applications on the website as well.
- In-person: Applications can be completed by visiting us on-site at any of our distribution centers, locations can be found on our website: org/contact.
- Date Posted: September 8, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Working Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm.