West End United Methodist Church
West End United Methodist Church
Plan and implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum and environment that follows Creative Curriculum’s guidelines & TN-ELD’s while meeting the needs of the individual child in accordance with the policies, procedures and philosophy of West End Preschool, DHS licensure standards and NAEYC accreditation regulations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The listed duties are not all inclusive. This position must also perform other duties as assigned.
Health & Safety:
- Responsible for the welfare, safety and health of the children.
- Accountable for having children within sight and sound and aware of the total number of children in attendance at all times.
- Prevent the spread of infectious illness by maintaining a healthful environment.
- Responsible for the daily cleaning and sanitary condition of classroom, toys and spaces used within the church.
- Promote healthy nutrition habits by sitting and eating with the children, encouraging children to “try” new foods.
- Able to safety evacuate children to play garden, Loews Hotel and walk children downstairs to lower lobby.
- Design enriched learning environments that support a caring classroom community.
- Complete lesson plans, reports and requested tasks promptly and accurately.
- Make learning meaningful by being attentive and responsive to children’s interests and needs. Use instruction to deepen children’s understanding by building skill and knowledge.
- Curriculum must include intentional implementation of DAP literacy, math, science, creative expression and arts, health and safety and social studies.
- Follow policies of school, playground and church regarding conservation and care of resources & materials.
- Generate & distribute well written & professional weekly lesson plan and monthly newsletters that reflect NAEYC curriculum standards and support Creative Curriculum’s framework.
- Supervise substitutes and volunteers in the classroom.
- Use group times, routines and transitions to achieve learning goals.
- Complete 18 hours of professional development and training per year.
10. Attend and participate in all Center meetings and events.
- Establish and maintain professional, on-going, 2-way communications with the parent(s)/guardian(s) regarding their child’s development and daily activities.
- Maintain confidentiality in parent and co-worker relationships.
- Contribute to the overall goodwill of the Center as it relates to volunteers, accrediting body, committees, employee and family relations by being a supportive team player and positive community image.
- Identify and make use of community resources & partnerships.
- Maintain a gossip free zone. Address areas of concern directly & respectfully with co-workers. Report un-resolved concerns to the Directors.
- Foster emotional well being by demonstrating respect for children and create a positive climate reflected in behaviors such as frequent social conversations, joint laughter and affection.
- Share work responsibilities & decision making with co-teacher. Create a pleasant work environment that draws upon each individual teacher’s strengths and interests.
- Provide families with “enrichment” activities to do at home related to your topics of classroom study and appropriate skill development.
- Maintain an individual portfolio for each child that reflects the child’s growth and development.
- Maintain a classroom NAEYC portfolio black box that provides proof of classroom quality that meets NAEYC standards.
- Complete a minimum of 2 written observations monthly on each child.
- Conduct bi-annual conferences with parents after having completed the Creative Curriculum assessment tool on each child.
- Responsible for children’s assessments, goal development and incorporation of children’s individual goals into daily lesson plans.
- Address challenging behaviors by bringing teachers, families and other professionals together as a team to develop and implement an individualized plan that supports the child’s inclusion and success.
Education Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education, Childhood & Family Relations, Education or related field preferred. Full time teachers hired that do not have a BS will be required to develop a continuing education plan with the Director. College-level continuing education classes will be required. Must have current CPR & First Aid certifications.
Experience Required: One year experience teaching children in accredited or quality program. Must have prior knowledge of TDHS licensing, ITERS/ECERS and NAEYC Accreditation standards.
Abilities Required: Abilities to make independent decisions and apply established procedures to individual and specific situations pertaining to children in a non-biased manner. Must have effective communication, interpersonal skills; be conscientious and able to efficiently handle multiple tasks. Excellent writing and computer skills needed. Must be able to read, understand and fully implement the standards of our governing bodies, DHS, ITERS/ECERS, NAEYC and Creative Curriculum.
Working Conditions, Physical Demands and Requirements:
- Must be able to meet DHS requirements with a medical statement indicating that your general physical and mental condition permits you to direct and actively participate in activities with children, parents and staff.
- Must comply with a tuberculosis test.
- Must have the physical capacity to quickly and safely evacuate a classroom should the need arise. Must be able to think and move quickly, to remain physically active throughout the day in order to address the needs of children.
Must be able to coordinate work, constantly move about, able to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms (occasionally overhead), stoop, kneel, talk to and hear staff and parent requests, and also occasionally lift or carry or otherwise move and position objects weighing up to 40 pounds.
Health Savings Acccount
Generous Paid-TIme Off policy
How to Apply
Please apply on our website at: http://www.westendumc.org/about/job-openings
West End UMC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
COVID-19 requirements: We have a mandatory vaccination policy for our Preschool. We will consider medical and/or religious accommodations. Everyone is also required to appropriately wear a mask indoors at all times.
- Date Posted: October 13, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 11/01/2021
- Salary Range: 14.50-18.0/hr
- Working Hours: Monday-Friday