Tennesseans for Student Success
Tennesseans for Student Success
Tennesseans for Student Success is a statewide network of teachers, parents, community leaders, and volunteers dedicated to supporting, championing, and fighting for Tennessee’s students and their futures. We are committed to building on Tennessee’s historic gains in education. Having been named the fastest improving state in the nation in education, breaking ACT records, graduating more students on time, and offering early opportunities for success is just the beginning. We work every day to make sure today’s students are more prepared and have even more opportunities for success than those who graduated before them. Our organization’s efforts, including legislative advocacy, grassroots organizing, and engagement across the state, and issue advance to support high-quality public education systems across Tennessee
TSS’ K-12 Policy Analyst will play a critical role in supporting the organization’s work at the state and local level, specifically in protecting accountability, championing higher standards, supporting an aligned assessment, promoting innovation in education and supporting Tennessee’s efforts at improving student achievement. The K-12 Policy Coordinator will support TSS efforts in:
- Work with the Vice President of Government affairs and TSS lobbyists to track, analyze and comment on K-12 current or potential state and local policies, legislation, rules, and guidance;
- Demonstrate familiarity with the state legislative process and the ability to quickly comprehend and learn local legislative processes;
- Lead and manage the analysis on key K-12 education legislation filed in the Tennessee General Assembly and prepare bill summaries for distribution, both internally and externally;
- Monitor, summarize, and analyze policy proposals from state and local regulatory boards, commissions, and other state and local agencies;
- Monitor meetings of the State Board of Education, Charter Commission, legislative committees and any other relevant state and local meetings, as needed;
- Manage and coordinate K-12 policy projects from inception to release, including, but not limited to reviewing education research, making policy recommendations and presenting findings from written reports;
- Identify emerging national policy best practices and consider how those policies could fit into the Tennessee context;
- Collaborate with TSS team members during advocacy and outreach campaigns;
- Contribute regular posts to the TSS blog;
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to convey complex concepts in concise and compelling ways.
- Strong spoken communication skills and comfort speaking to both large and small groups.
- Outstanding commitment to excellence and attention to detail.
- The ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Represent TSS on task forces, workgroups and at committees as needed;
- Perform all work in a culturally responsive manner consistent with TSS’ mission;
- Participate in general TSS staff activities and other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree Required. Graduate-level degree preferred.
- Experience: At least two (2) years of professional experience, ideally in education, state government/legislature or in a policy think tank, government relations or public policy organization.
- Physical Requirements: Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods.
- Job Type: Full time, salaried (with great benefits).
- Travel: Up to 25%.
100% Employer Paid Premiums Medical, Dental, and Vision
12 Paid Holidays
Flexible, Hybrid Work Schedule
How to Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and PDF of your resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Cover letter and PDF of your resume.
2. A writing sample (memo, presentation, or other material) similar to that which may be
produced in this job. The sample should reflect your analytical, research, and
- Date Posted: December 2, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Legal
- Service Area: Government