The Next Door
Peer Recovery Specialist
The Next Door
The Peer Recovery Specialist is responsible for providing client supervision in a structured, supportive treatment environment, while communicating with and accessing the support of Clinical staff. The schedule for this position is Saturday – Thursday.
- Assist clients in articulating personal goals for recovery through the use of one-to-one and group sessions. During these sessions the PRS will support clients in identifying and creating goals and developing recovery plans with the skills, strengths, supports and resources to aid them in achieving those goals.
- Assist clients in working with their treatment team in determining the steps he/she needs to take in order to achieve these goals and self-directed recovery.
- Assist clients in setting up and sustaining self-help (mutual support) groups, as well as means of locating and joining existing groups.
- Assist in leading aftercare group and events.
- The PRS models effective coping techniques and self-help strategies.
- Independently or with periodic assistance of higher graded treatment team members, utilize and teach problem solving techniques with individuals and groups; discussions will be utilized where clients will share common problems in daily living and methods they have employed to manage and cope with these problems. As one who has availed themselves to addiction and / or mental health services, the PRS will share their own experiences and what skills, strengths, supports and resources they use. As much as possible, the PRS will share their own recovery story and as the facilitator of these sessions, will demonstrate how they have directed their own recovery.
- Use ongoing individual and group sessions to teach clients how to identify and combat negative self-talk and how to identify and overcome fears by providing a forum which allows group members and PRS to share their experiences. By using identified literature, media, etc. clients will gain hope, learn to identify their strengths and combat negative self-talk.
- Provide timely and professional documentation to support each client/resident interaction and coordination of services per the documentation guidelines of TND.
- Participate in continuing education activities, remaining knowledgeable in areas related to the focus of the residential program
- Attend meetings and trainings as assigned by supervisor.
- Be available to residents for immediate concerns or needs and direct to appropriate staff.
- Perform urine drug screens/breathalyzer as assigned an on suspicion.
- Remain engaged and available during shift.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate degree or some college preferred
- 1-year minimum experience working with target population preferred
- Knowledge of substance abuse/addiction issues or related work experience preferred
- Obtain Peer Recovery Specialist certification within one year of working as a Peer Recovery Specialist
- Flexibility to work any shift preferred
- Possess proficient computer skills including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to establish and maintain professional therapeutic boundaries
- Possess proficient computer skills Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Valid Driver’s license.
All Employees will adhere to the following professional standards:
- Honor the agency mission: The mission of The Next Door is to live out our faith by providing a continuum of evidence-based substance abuse and mental health services for women in an environment of faith and healing to restore hope and a lifetime of recovery.
- Consistently treat residents and co-workers with the utmost respect.
- Keep ALL information regarding staff, residents, diagnosis, group information, etc. confidential at all times.
- Work as a necessary part of the team effort.
- Model ethical behavior at all times.
- Encourage and live the core values of The Next Door, Inc. at all times:
- Love ~ We demonstrate what love looks like, so our women learn to love others in healthy ways and love themselves.
- Faith ~ We welcome all people, and all will be cared for with Christ-centered principles.
- Hope ~ We believe hope is within reach for all women.
- Wholeness ~ God has a plan and purpose for a woman’s life and that is abundantly good. She does not have to be defined by her past decisions. God loves. God forgives. Every woman can be whole and complete.
- Community ~ We are building a healthy community in which our women are contributing members of society. We need one another. We care for one another. We will teach our women how to build their own healthy community.
- Respect ~ We believe each woman deserves respect from us and from each other. We believe each woman can learn to respect herself and others.
- Encouragement ~ We believe that our words and actions should build one another up. We inspire one another with love and good deeds.
Healthcare, 401K Match, PTO, OT, professional development.
How to Apply
Go to www.thenextdoor.org, under the Careers tab.
- Date Posted: June 30, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Health (Physical, Mental)
- Start Date: 07/12/2021