Part-time Volunteer Coordinator
Book’em is seeking a part-time Volunteer Coordinator to join our committed team – someone who is passionate about books, literacy, and children/teens and can help us provide meaningful volunteer experiences for people of all ages that benefit those we serve. At Book’em, we work hard, have fun, and believe in work/life balance. We encourage and celebrate diversity and are an equal opportunity employer.
The mission of Book’em is to create a more literate Nashville and ignite children’s passion for reading through book ownership and enthusiastic volunteers. We envision a future in Nashville where all children own books and know first-hand the joy and value of reading. For more information about Book’em, please visit www.bookem-kids.org.
This position is primarily in person. The coordinator will work 25-30 hours/week. The schedule for those 25-30 hours is flexible between 8am and 6pm Monday through Friday. As is the case for many nonprofits, some evenings and weekends will be required with advance notice.
If you are looking for a place to use your skills to make a difference for Nashville’s youth, please consider Book’em.
To provide meaningful volunteer experiences that benefit those we serve, interact and communicate effectively with volunteers, coordinate all administrative functions related to volunteers, and collaborate with staff to fulfill our mission. The Volunteer Coordinator reports directly to the Executive Director and works extensively with all staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with operations, technology, marketing, social media, office functions, books, fundraising, and other duties as needed; and assist other staff members and board of directors as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong project planning, time management, team management, and organizational skills.
- Excellent English language skills: oral, written, reading, as well as strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and proactively without daily instruction, as well as ability to work well with a team.
- Must be comfortable working with a diverse population of volunteers, educators, business leaders, and individuals.
- Strong presentation, facilitation, and social media skills.
- Ability to compile and analyze data, meet deadlines, and handle details well.
- Proficient or advanced use of Microsoft Office programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Publisher and ability to quickly learn other software programs.
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance is required. Use of personal vehicle will be required at times.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree.
- One to three years of work experience in volunteer coordination, children’s literacy/books, project management, non-profit, or related field.
Environmental Conditions and Physical Demands
- Above moderate physical activity.
- Manual dexterity to reach/handle items, work with fingers and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
- Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds.
- Employee is required to stand, walk, sit, climb, and balance.
- Final candidate must pass a thorough background check.
- Part time position: 25-30 hours per week, primarily during normal weekday business hours (8am-6pm Monday through Friday) with some early mornings, evenings, and weekends required.
- Some remote work possible, but will be primarily in person.
Equal Opportunity Employer – diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Company facilities and school campuses are tobacco-free and gun-free environments.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position and is not intended to represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities.
Pay Rate and Benefits
- Hourly rate between $15.00 and $16.00 (based on experience).
- Position is considered an hourly employee working part-time.
- No health/medical benefits are available through Book’em.
- Paid time off for holidays, vacation, and personal time included.
- Opportunity to work with a talented and dedicated team and to make a difference.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please email the following to Melissa Spradlin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- a cover letter describing how you are qualified for this position and why you are interested in it
- your resume
- Date Posted: June 16, 2022
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 07/18/2022
- Salary Range: $15.00-$16.00/hr
- Working Hours: 25-30 hrs/wk; flexible within: M-F 8:00am - 6:00pm