Part Time Senior Helpline Attorney
Tennessee Alliance for Legal Services
Tennessee Alliance for Legal Services has been providing civil legal advice and referrals by phone to disadvantaged Tennesseans in all 95 counties for 7 years, serving approximately 6,000 callers annually. The helpline (844-HELP4TN) serves a critical role in the access to justice network in Tennessee by helping callers identify their legal issues, providing legal advice, and connecting callers to resources across the state.
With the senior population in Tennessee growing exponentially, TALS added a senior helpline extension to its HELP4TN program in 2017. Now, TALS is seeking to expand the senior helpline team by hiring a part time attorney with a minimum of five years’ experience to work 10 hours per week serving Tennessee seniors.
• Triaging callers’ issues, providing limited scope legal advice and counsel;
• Maintaining familiarity with organizations that serve seniors statewide and referring callers to the appropriate agencies for further assistance (TALS maintains a referral directory to assist with this);
• Entering information from calls into our online intake forms;
• Achieving key performance metrics;
• Partnering with helpline attorneys for the first two weeks of employment to learn best practices for helpline services and our case management system;
• Completing and documenting an average of two calls per hour daily;
• Conducting research when needed to answer questions;
• General record keeping;
• Participating in staff meetings
• Attorneys will have familiarity with a wide variety of legal issues facing seniors including: consumer debt, conservatorships, advanced directives, housing issues, healthcare issues, denial of benefits, and family law issues;
• Excellent listening skills;
• Superior ethics and professionalism standards;
• Excellent telephone manner; ability to assist callers who may be emotional and in a crisis;
• Computer literacy and competence to accurately enter information into a computer database or case management tool while talking on a call.
The part time senior help line attorney position is extremely rewarding because you get to help a vulnerable group of people in our state who may otherwise not have access to legal advice. The position is covered under TALS’ malpractice policy for legal work done taking helpline calls. The hourly rate is $25/hour, eligible for annual raises. Employees are eligible to participate in TALS’ retirement plan, with TALS contributing 3% of the employee’s pay into the plan. There are no additional fringe benefits associated with the positions.
It is TALS’ policy to seek and employ qualified persons, to provide equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and to administer all personnel activities in a manner that will not discriminate against any person on the basis of sexual orientation, race, color, religion/creed, sex, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or other legally protected class.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Joy Reed | Operations Manager
50 Vantage Way, Suite 250
Nashville, TN 37228
- Date Posted: August 26, 2020
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Legal
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 10/05/2020
- Salary Range: 25 per hour
- Working Hours: 10 hrs/wk