Part-time Programs Assistant
Book’em is seeking a part-time Programs Assistant to join our committed team – someone who is passionate about books, literacy, and children/teens and wants to help us provide more books and reading role models for Nashville’s youth. At Book’em, we work hard, have fun, and believe in work/life balance. We encourage and celebrate diversity and are an equal-opportunity employer.
The mission of Book’em is to create a more literate Nashville and ignite children’s passion for reading through book ownership and enthusiastic volunteers. We envision a future in Nashville where all children own books and know first-hand the joy and value of reading. For more information about Book’em, please visit www.bookem-kids.org.
This position is in-person (you have to be where the books are) for 20-25 hours/week. This employee will help determine their schedule within regular business hours, 8:00 to 5:00 Monday through Thursday. Some evenings and weekends will be required with advance notice.
If you are looking for a place to use your skills to make a difference for Nashville’s youth, please consider Book’em.
To assist with our book programs and help with other needs and priorities. The employee will primarily help with processing books for distribution and collaborate with staff to fulfill our mission. The Programs Assistant reports to our Book Programs Coordinator.
- Process book donations and purchases
- Fulfill book requests and book distributions.
- Train and work with individual volunteers helping with book processing.
- Train and work with volunteer groups helping with book processing.
- Assist with book pick-ups and book drop-offs.
- Deliver books and pick up books as needed.
- Assist with reading programs as needed.
- Assist with other needs when they arise.
- Update and complete forms and paperwork
- Maintain working relationships that ensure the success of Book’em. This includes maintaining positive interpersonal relationships with partners, donors, volunteers, and staff.
- Assist with operations, volunteers, technology, marketing, social media, office functions, books, fundraising, and other duties as needed; and assist other staff members and board of directors as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Project planning, time management, volunteer or people management, and organizational skills.
- Excellent English language skills: oral, written, reading, and strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and proactively without daily instruction, as well as the ability to work well with a team.
- Must be comfortable working with a diverse population of volunteers, educators, business leaders, and individuals.
- A valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance are required. Use of personal vehicles will be required at times.
Education and Experience Required
- High school diploma or equivalent, college student, college degree, and/or more.
- One year of work experience in any field is desired.
- Volunteer experience (any type) is desired.
Environmental Conditions and Physical Demands
- Above moderate/frequent physical activity.
- Manual dexterity to reach/handle items, work with fingers, and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
- Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds frequently.
- The employee is required to stand, walk, sit, climb, and balance.
- The final candidate must pass a thorough background check.
- Part-time position: 20-25 hours per week, during normal weekday business hours (8 am-5 pm Monday through Thursday) with some early mornings, evenings, and weekends required with advance notice.
- In-person position.
Pay Rate and Benefits
- The hourly rate is $15.00 with no flexibility with that rate.
- The position is considered an hourly employee working part-time.
- No health/medical benefits are available through Book’em.
- Paid time off for holidays, vacation, and personal time included.
- Opportunity to work with a talented and dedicated team and to make a difference.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please email the following to Melissa Spradlin at email@example.com.
- A cover letter describing how you are qualified for this position and why you are interested in it
- Your resume
- Date Posted: September 8, 2023
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 10/02/2023
- Salary Range: $15.00/hour
- Working Hours: 20-25 hrs/wk; M-Th days, some weekends and evenings required