Tennessee Language Center
Part-time Instructor of American Sign Language (ASL)
Tennessee Language Center
TLC teaching assignments will vary from online learning (Matrix learning management system + synchronous Zoom sessions) to in-person (likely beginning in the Fall Term, at Tennessee Language Center in Nashville, TN and/or local businesses) for language learners at beginning, intermediate, and advanced proficiency levels. Language instructors work with the Tennessee Language Center (TLC) on a part-time basis. They may teach group classes during our regularly scheduled terms and/or provide custom language instruction. TLC primarily teaches adult language learners in group classes, but we are currently expanding our course offerings to include dedicated classes for middle and high school learners.
World language classes are where it all started for TLC so our part-time instructors are truly the heartbeat of our organization. We are dedicated to ensuring their success through ongoing professional development, regular feedback, flexible scheduling, fair pay, and administrative support.
The Tennessee Language Center (TLC) is currently seeking an experienced instructor of American Sign Language to:
- Plan, organize, design and deliver instruction to adult students in group classes who are interesting in learning ASL during the upcoming Summer term (starting the week of July 12th). Course modality (online or in-person) will be determined closer to the start of the term. Candidates who are able to teach both in-person at the TLC Nashville location and online are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Offer custom language instruction to individuals and businesses
Part-time instructors typically work between 6 and 20 hours per week, 36 weeks per year, depending on staffing needs and group class term enrollments. Future group classes at TLC may be expanded to include classes for middle school (5th – 8th grades) and high school (9th – 12th grades) language learners, and candidates with experience working with these age groups are encouraged to apply.
TLC offers both online and in-person classes. Online teachers may reside anywhere in the U.S. and in-person teachers must live in the Nashville area.
- Bachelor’s degree in any field
- Demonstrated ability to teach ASL through qualified experience or certification from the American Sign Language Teachers Association (ASLTA), the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, or the National Association of the Deaf.
- Advanced level of proficiency with ASL
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience teaching sign language and the age group (adult, middle/high school age) for which applying to teach
- Must be able to work respectfully with individuals of all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives and abilities
- Must have some experience using classroom technologies
- Bachelor’s degree in American Sign Language and Deaf Studies
- Master’s degree in ASL, Deaf Education, ASL Linguistic, or Deaf Studies or Master’s degree with 18 graduate hours in ASL related course work
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices or current American Sign Language (ASL) educational trends in curriculum and instruction
- Experience using a Learning Management System (LMS)
- Online language teaching experience
- Experience with curriculum design and knowledge of research-based, language rich instructional strategies
How to Apply
Please email the following to email@example.com:
- Detailed Resume/CV – listing education and describing work experience
- Letter of Interest - addressing qualifications and experience related to the stated required and preferred qualifications for the position
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
- Date Posted: June 21, 2021
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Education