Cheekwood Estate & Gardens
Cheekwood Estate & Gardens
Work in one of the most beautiful places in Nashville! Formerly the family home of Mabel and Leslie Cheek, Cheekwood now serves the public as a botanical garden, arboretum, and museum with period rooms and art galleries, three times voted a Top USA Today Garden. Cheekwood is seeking an individual with a strong interest in horticulture to support garden maintenance and uphold the highest standard of excellence.
- Performs all levels of garden and grounds maintenance required to maintain the highest aesthetic standards throughout the property and support seasonal display rotations, especially Blooms. Understands and stewards the Mission Statements for individual gardens and collections.
- Assists the garden supervisor in upholding the historic and current intent of the garden.
- Frequently practices landscaping maintenance and upkeep including, but not limited to weeding, mulching, watering, planting, pruning, pest control, spraying, string trimming, leaf removal, and trash removal.
- Troubleshoots irrigation issues in the garden.
- Maintains bed edges and tree rings.
- Applies a basic understanding of plant physiology and botanical nomenclature.
- Practices safety measures during task execution.
- Maintains water features in assigned garden, if applicable.
- Actively participates in large seasonal exhibitions such as Blooms, and additional Seasonal Garden Projects.
- Supervises seasonal employees and volunteers in support of the garden supervisor.
- Maintains standards for the daily care and storage of garden equipment.
- Safely and responsibly operate and maintain landscape equipment including, but not limited to, backpack blowers, edger’s, gas powered shears, string trimmers, and utility carts.
- Maintains records of work activities in assigned areas of the garden.
- Serves as an external representative of Cheekwood and engages members of the community and industry to exchange information and ideas to support individual and institutional growth.
- Maintains a constant awareness of the guest experience and makes every reasonable effort to ensure the safety and comfort of all persons moving through the garden.
- Understands and upholds the Cheekwood Mission, Vision and Values, and maintains great awareness and flexibility to accommodate and support organizational goals and operations
Must have the ability to lift, pull, push, and carry up to 50lbs; strong customer service skills; willing to work in inclement weather and the availability to work the required hours,7:00 AM to 3:30 PM. This is a part-time position. Cheekwood has a vaccine policy and requires staff members to wear a mask while indoors. Cheekwood follows the CDC’s COVID-19 recommendations and has a voluntary vaccine policy.
- Membership & Discounts: As an employee, you receive a Cheekwood membership, which entitles you to unlimited admission during regular Garden hours and a limited number of free tickets to special events. Members also receive discounts classes, ticketed events, and purchases at the Gift Shop. Your Cheekwood membership also include reciprocal admission for named members to more than 300 gardens though the American Horticultural Society.
- Reciprocal Admission: As an employee of Cheekwood you have free general admission access to many local cultural, historical, and art institutions as part of the employee admission program
How to Apply
To apply for this position click here: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Apply/1139239/CHEEKWOOD/Gardener—Part-time
- Date Posted: June 13, 2022
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 07/05/2022
- Salary Range: $17.00 - &18.00 Hourly
- Working Hours: M-F (up to 29 hours week)