Nashville Launch Pad
Overnight Shelter Advocate
Nashville Launch Pad
Purpose: To create a welcoming, trauma-informed environment for the LGBTQ+ or allied young adults (18-24 years old) in Launch Pad’s overnight winter shelter program, and to ensure shelter operations are running smoothly. This is a seasonal position from Nov 1 2022 to Mar 31 2023.
Must be a competent professional with excellent interpersonal communication skills. Must maintain confidentiality, take initiative, and manage conflict. Must be culturally sensitive, team focused and collaborative. Must have the ability to clearly and objectively document information.
People of color and members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Work Location: Multiple; Sites in Donelson (Sun – Wed and Fri nights) and Green Hills (Thur and Sat nights)
● Monitoring the shelter guests overnight. Must remain awake entire shift
● Assisting guests with any interpersonal conflicts or disputes
● Waking guests in the morning and helping guests with breakfast and logistics around exiting
● Writing a brief report at the end of each shift highlighting significant events and developments
● Documenting client interactions and crisis interventions into database software
● Experience in crisis intervention and working with LGBTQ+ population
● Team player with strong decision-making skills
● The ability to work a shift beginning at 11pm and ending at 7am multiple nights per week
● The ability to engage and build rapport with our guests. This means initiating conversations and practicing active listening skills
● An even temperament with the ability to stay calm and problem-solve in a crisis
● A commitment to providing a safe and affirming space for LGBTQ youth
● A proven track record of reliability in a work environment, especially in terms of punctuality and minimal absences as well as communication of potential absences in a timely manner
● A strong sense of boundaries to keep relationships with guests professional and healthy
● An understanding of poverty, either through lived experience or previous work/volunteer positions, especially as it connects to issues of race, gender, and sexuality.
● An understanding of trauma-informed care preferred.
● Experience in de-escalation techniques preferred.
From $16 per hour.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Micah@nashvillelaunchpad.com
Cover Letter Topic: Please describe why you are interested in working with the LGBTQ+ young adult population, and what job & life experience make you a good candidate for this position.
- Date Posted: October 24, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: From $16 per hour
- Working Hours: 11p - 7a