Nashville Adult Literacy Council
Online Classroom ELL Instructor
Nashville Adult Literacy Council
Founded in 1982, the mission of the Nashville Adult Literacy Council (NALC) is for Nashville adults to learn the reading, writing, and English-speaking skills they need for a better life. NALC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that serves two types of learners: 1) adults who read or comprehend at less than an eighth-grade proficiency, and 2) adult immigrants who want to improve their English skills. We provide our learners with a safe place to learn and grow. We recognize that not everyone learns in the same way or wants the same things. This is why we offer one-on-one tutoring in addition to classroom instruction, so each learner gets the attention needed for success.
NALC is seeking to add part-time, Online Classroom Instructors for English Language Learners. We anticipate hiring for three classes for this session, which may be filled by two to three instructors:
- M/W or T/Th High Intermediate/Advanced Level 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- M/W Beginner/Low Level 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Tu/Th Beginner/Low Level 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.
The session runs from January 10th through April 1st. A teacher’s week will include four hours of instruction, two hours of prep, and one hour of coordination and communication with learners and/or staff, for a total of up to seven hours per week per class. Any additional hours require prior approval from the manager. Occasional meetings may be required. There will be opportunities for additional hours if/when substitute teachers are necessary.
- Attend and assist in enrollments and assessments.
- Assist learners with technology issues when logging into Zoom, Burlington English, and other online applications, as needed.
- Ensure online classroom environment is warm and inviting and that students have opportunities for meaningful relationships and participation.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and awareness of cultural differences and education attainment of students.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all lessons.
- Prepare and record lesson plans that are culturally responsive and targeted to the assessed needs of learners.
- Use the curriculum provided through Burlington English and prepare additional materials, as needed, to facilitate an active and thorough learning experience.
- Teach using current, effective teaching methods and flexible approaches which address different learning styles and learning rates of learners.
- Record and monitor student attendance and progress.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records and personnel information.
- Work collaboratively and maintain prompt communication with other instructors and NALC staff.
- Turn in timesheet and prepare other forms when requested.
- Participate in staff development and training sessions with a willingness to work as part of a team, if assigned.
- Commitment to NALC’s mission and the ability to convey its message.
- High level of patience, positive attitude, and flexibility.
- High levels of motivation, self-reliance, and independence.
- Ability to troubleshoot/problem solve.
- Strong communication, administrative, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently while prioritizing and managing a varied workload.
- Ability to express ideas clearly, both in written and oral communications. Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, manage, control and execute tasks in a timely and organized manner.
- Minimum 1-year ESL teaching experience with qualification or 5-years of equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ESL teaching strategies.
- Proficiency with Internet, E-Mail, Microsoft Office (especially Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) Google (Sheets and Forms), and Zoom (scheduling, screen sharing, breakout rooms, chat, etc.).
- Familiarity with Burlington English and CASAS.
- Must have working computer and ability to text.
- Excellent written and oral English proficiency.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher preferred, M.A. in TESOL or TFLI Certification a plus.
- Arabic and Spanish proficiency a plus.
How to Apply
Send resume to email@example.com. Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. No calls. Applications without requested information will not be considered.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE RECEIVED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED.
- Date Posted: November 30, 2021
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Education
- Start Date: 01/10/2022
- Salary Range: 20
- Working Hours: See Summary Above