First Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashville
First Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashville
The First Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashville (FUUN), a liberal religious community, is seeking to fill a 40-hour–per-week Office Manager position. The Office Manager supports church operations and should be familiar with and understand the unique needs of a church, its administration and technology and how they support effective church operations and communications.
This position will be filled as soon as possible. Applications will be considered as they are received.
Duties and responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work
being performed by people assigned to this job. However, these statements are not
exhaustive and cannot anticipate all possible duties and requirements which may arise in
the course of the position.
• Directly supervises:
o Childcare Coordinator
o Event staff (church monitors and AV technicians)
o Administrative Volunteers Office Team, with a broad overview and
understanding of their capabilities and areas of responsibility
Attend Staff meeting and meet with the Lead Minister, as requested, to discuss
priorities and related business.
• Be present or attempt to find a replacement to be present during posted church
office hours and/or as agreed to by the Lead Minister. Make every attempt to make
arrangements for a replacement during scheduled time off.
• Work in partnership with the Board of Directors Operations Council Chair.
• Run the front of the house; answering phones and greeting guests as needed when
Administration office team is not available.
• Open and distribute church mail.
Order supplies as needed including placing orders for supplies through Office Depot
and Amazon accounts.
• Oversee office mailings (print, fold, label, stuff, stamp, etc.)
• Assist Lead Minister and other staff with office tasks as needed.
• Work as needed with the Lead Minister, staff, and church members on information
related to the weekly Order of Service.
• Coordinate with church committees for special projects which may include,
purchasing supplies, printing and mailings.
• Oversee the function of all office equipment (e.g. copiers, phones, computers, fax,
printers, etc.) and coordination with third-party tech support provider.
Understands the specific human resources needs of a nonprofit church organization.
Acts as the office HR department and serves on the Personnel Committee as the staff
liaison, communicating as needed.
Maintains historical and current personnel files with all necessary documentation.
Works with Lead minister and staff on updating job descriptions.
Works with the Lead minister in organizing the annual review process, working with
staff and Personnel Committee to ensure timely and accurate reviews.
Oversee the HR functions of the church staff (e.g. assist in the orientation of new
staff, run background checks on potential employees and contract workers, complete
all HR and benefit paperwork).
Ensures new hires complete employee paperwork and submit them to necessary
departments. (W4, I9, benefits, employee handbook acknowledgment, etc.)
Serves on hiring teams during the hiring process for any staff new hires, including
posting ads, reviewing resumes, running a pre-screening background check, and
Stays up to date with the UUA Offices of church staff finance.
Works closely with the Board Resources and Development Chair regarding complex
human resources issues, including providing guidance, as needed, to comply with
changing laws and anticipate and prevent workplace issues.
Oversee the administrators credit card, turning in and coding receipts in a timely
Oversee the Office Depot and Amazon account turning in and coding receipts in a timely
Ensure accounts are purchased annually and as needed (zoom, amazon, calendar, liquor
license, background checks, etc.)
• Oversee the use of building entry codes and key distribution.
• Oversee functions related to use of the facilities. This may include: explaining the
church Rules of Use policies, showing facilities/giving tours to potential users,
scheduling events, and collecting facility user fees.
• Assist in the scheduling of outside vendors.
• Meet with the operations chair, as needed, to review items needed to be addressed.
• Oversee the scheduling of all rooms on church campus utilizing calendar program.
• Keep accurate records of facility uses.
• Annually communicate with committee and church leaders to update the calendar
for the upcoming fiscal year.
• Update the calendar and share with appropriate staff
Database and Records Management
• Maintain church databases and update changes in church membership.
• Compile board reports into one pdf and email in a timely manner to the staff and
• Maintain list of building users and contact information as directed.
Able to organize and prioritize use of time. Is an excellent multi-tasker with the ability
to bring tasks to completion under time constraints and in an environment where
there may be multiple interruptions.
Good verbal and written skills.
Experience and comfort in learning and using common technology and equipment,
such as computer, copier, fax, and multi-line phone, to perform responsibilities.
Intermediate level knowledge and skill in using Microsoft Office Suite Products
including Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher and PowerPoint.
Demonstrated understanding of and ability to use developed database programs to
enter data, look up information, and generate reports, as this position requires the
use of a church database system.
Experience with church management software preferred.
Experience developing and overseeing department budget.
Has good critical thinking and creative problem solving skills.
Can work independently but is comfortable checking in or asking for direction when
Able to identify with a liberal church of diverse theologies, its congregation and its
Must have means of transportation and appropriate insurance.
• Have respect for the FUUN mission, purposes, and principles.
• Establish a working environment with the staff and members conducive to productive
and harmonious relationships.
• Expected to work a 40-hour week. Hours should be worked in the office when the
office is open, and remotely as needed during remaining hours.
• Maintain a neat and organized office environment.
• Respect the privacy of church members, refrain from gossip, and keep confidential
matters to her/himself.
• Preferred that the administrator not be a member of the church.
Working conditions and physical requirements
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for
extended periods of time, using office equipment and computers, use hands in repetitive
motion tasks, handle objects, talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required include close
vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Some light lifting of supplies and
materials are needed from time to time and walking up and down stairs. The employee
will work in a shared office. The noise level is usually quiet.
Long Term Disability & Life Insurance premiums paid 100% by employer.
Choice of Health Insurance plans with premiums paid by employer at 80% for
employee and 50% for dependents. Employer contribution of $125 per month to
Health Savings Account if employee chooses a high-deductible plan option.
Retirement plan eligible to make employee contributions from date of hire,
employer contributing 10% of salary after one year of employment.
Professional expense, with the amount depending on budgetary considerations
How to Apply
Diversity and Inclusion at First UU Church of Nashville
Our belief in the inherent dignity and worth of every person motivates everything we do
at FUUN. We strive to maintain a workplace where all employees are respected and
included, where individual experiences are honored, and where both glowing and
challenging feedback is appreciated.
FUUN is highly committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment. People
with disabilities, people of color, and people from minority communities are encouraged
To apply please email a letter of interest, resume, and any supporting materials to
Hiring@thefuun.org. Position to be filled as soon as possible.
No phone calls please
- Date Posted: October 1, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Religious
- Start Date: 11/01/2021
- Salary Range: 40,000 to 55,000
- Working Hours: T-Th 10a-5p, Fri 10a-1p +flexible