JOB TITLE: Nursing Assistant
REPORTS TO: Director of Nursing
The Nursing Assistant supports Cumberland Heights’ mission of providing the highest quality care possible in a cost-effective manner for persons and families who are at risk for or who are suffering from the disease of chemical dependency. Treatment encompasses the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual dimensions of recovery by offering a safe, loving and healing environment, combining professional excellence and the principles of the Twelve Steps.
The Nursing Assistant provides assistance to physicians and licensed nursing staff in the delivery of direct patient care services. The Nursing Assistant reports to the Charge Nurse and/or the Nursing Shift Supervisor.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include some or all of the following:
1. Performs vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, respirations, temperature) as directed.
2. Assists with admissions as directed, including but not limited to, bed assignments, search of patient belongings, unit orientation, photograph and name badge, etc.
3. Assists with laboratory specimen collection and processing, including phlebotomy
4. Assists physician with examinations as directed.
5. Assists with care of detoxification patients as directed, including but not limited to, activities of daily living (eating, bathing, ambulating, eliminating, etc.).
6. Assists with treatments as directed, including but not limited to, cold packs, heating pads, simple bandages, etc.
7. Assists Director of Nursing or designee with inventory and ordering of supplies as directed, including getting food supplies from Food Services as need.
8. Documents activities in clinical record per established policies and procedures.
9. Attends team and shift report as directed.
10. Assists patients, families, and visitors in a multitude of requests, including but not limited to, questions regarding program guidelines and services, schedules, and campus locations.
11. Acts as First Responder in all emergency management drills and alarms at the residential site.
12. Assists in urgent and emergency medical triage, including First Aid and CPR, as directed.
13. Communicates with a variety of clinical, support, and administrative staff throughout the facility to effectively provide a smooth continuum of care for patients.
14. Responds therapeutically to patients in crisis, referring to nursing and counseling staff as appropriate.
15. Ensures that a welcoming, safe and healing environment is maintained for each patient and family throughout the continuum of care.
16. Recommends ways to improve the quality and delivery of services.
17. Maintains confidentiality of company and patient information.
18. Reacts productively to change.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or GED is required; a minimum of one (1) year experience in healthcare setting required with behavioral healthcare experience strongly preferred; and/or equivalent education or experience in job related activities.
Ability to lift 30 lbs; ability to push/pull 100 lbs; ability to speak, hear, see, sit, stand, walk, balance, stoop, kneel, reach and handle; ability to speak, read and write in English; excellent interpersonal skills; excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to respond supportively and calmly to people in crisis and under the influence of mood altering substances required; familiarity with addiction, common signs and symptoms of withdrawal strongly preferred; excellent organizational skills and ability to utilize same in a fast paced environment; ability to work effectively within a team setting; computer keyboard skills preferred; ability to learn clinical software packages required; First Aid, CPR, and CPI certified or eligible; phlebotomy skills and/or ability to be trained for same; knowledge of and ability to apply information regarding cultural/age/population specific characteristics to patient care in assigned area. If recovering, two years of verifiable abstinence required with active participation in the appropriate Twelve Step program preferred.
Position is in a rehabilitation setting that involves associated risks or discomforts requiring safety precautions. Position is subject to long hours and various shifts including weekends. Position is subject to stressful situations. Position cannot leave shift until adequate coverage is provided. Positions is in contact with people in crisis, including those under the influence of mood altering substances, emotionally volatile and/or psychiatrically unstable who may require additional safety precautions.
Discussed during interview
How to Apply
Please visit our website to apply @Cumberlandheights.org
- Date Posted: October 11, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Clinician
- Service Area: Health (Physical, Mental)