National Museum of African American Music
NMAAM Event Management Intern
National Museum of African American Music
The purpose of the NMAAM Events Management Intern position is to assist in the planning, production, and execution of high-quality internal and external events for the Museum. This will include working with vendors, researching trends in museum events, creating logistical folders and setup plans and assisting with day of event management.
We are looking for individuals who want to gain experience in all aspects of the event planning and management process. Student will have the chance to learn about the industry first-hand and have high accountability as they will be given high priority, real world tasks throughout the internship. This is a full-time internship role during the summer with the possibility of extending through the fall semester as a part-time opportunity.
NMAAM is the only museum dedicated to preserving the legacy and celebrating the accomplishments of the many music genres created, influenced, or inspired by African Americans. The Museum will share the story of the American Soundtrack, integrating history and interactive technology to bring the musical heroes of the past into the present.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist on-site at fast-paced, high-profile events throughout the year.
- Assist in all aspects of planning events, working with clients, event coordination, and execution.
- Take on a variety of administrative projects and day-to-day tasks including mailings, assembly projects, and filing.
- Answer and deal directly with heavy volume of phone calls and emails pertaining to events.
- Maintain and update Events Calendar.
- Maintain files for regular meetings and events and provide historical information in preparation for regular meetings; manage confidential and routine files.
- Update event timelines and assist with project management.
- Propose new ideas to improve the event planning and implementation process.
- Serve as liaison with vendors on event-related matters.
- The event intern should have a love for special event management, provide outstanding customer service, be an enthusiastic professional, and be able to build relationships with internal and external customers.
- Must be able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet deadlines, and be willing to work evenings and weekends, that is, the night of event.
- Assist with managing on-site production and clean up for events as necessary.
- Close out all events as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Current or recent enrollment in a graduate or undergraduate degree program with an interest and aptitude to work in event planning, customer service, marketing, or association management fields.
- Polished and professional in appearance, attitude and action when dealing with members, prospective members, sponsors, and executive management
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Positive, motivating and team-spirited attitude
- Must be available to work nights and weekends to staff events.
- Organizational skills to manage multiple tasks, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize in a changing environment and still meet deadlines
- Dynamic self-starter who takes initiative, highly reliable
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; interpersonal and follow-up skills
- Proactive problem prevention and issue resolution leadership ability
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and internet applications.
All Staff Duties:
- Supports the mission, vision and strategic goals of NMAAM to serve both internal and external customers.
- Ability to act as ambassador of NMAAM and demonstrate confidence in knowledge of the history, brand values, vision, and direction
- Actively seeks to learn the history of NMAAM.
- Supports and promotes the Museum’s mission.
This is a full-time internship role during the summer with the possibility of extending through the fall semester as a part-time opportunity.
How to Apply
Follow this link to apply: NMAAM Event Management Intern
- Date Posted: May 9, 2022
- Type: Contract / Temp
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Salary Range: $12 - $15 per hour