NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Memphis Executive Director
NAMI Memphis – Memphis, TN, is seeking an experienced, visionary, and self-determined individual to fill the first paid full-time staff position for NAMI Memphis, serving as Executive Director of this NAMI affiliate. This position will be an exciting opportunity for someone to work alongside a Board of Directors in continuing to build, from the ground up, an impactful and efficiently run non-profit organization. This position is headquartered in Memphis, TN.
About NAMI Memphis: NAMI Memphis serves the cities of Memphis and Shelby County in West Tennessee. We are a 501c3 non-profit, grassroots organization dedicated to improving the lives of people with severe and persistent mental health issues and their loved ones through effective and innovative support, education, and advocacy. We are family members with lived experiences of many ages, cultures, and stages. Though independent, NAMI Memphis is an affiliate of NAMI national and NAMI Tennessee in Nashville.
The Executive Director is a comprehensive leader for the organization and within the community, responsible for overseeing the programs, administration, and strategic planning for the good of the organization and all whom it serves. Other key attributes of a qualified candidate include the following:
- Marketing, Community Outreach, & Public Relations
- Fiscal Management
- Mental Health Advocacy Work – both in the legislative nature and personal and “boots on the ground” nature (working closely with families and those affected by mental illness as they navigate resources).
- Volunteer recruitment and support.
- Responsible for leading NAMI Memphis in a manner consistent with the mission and vision defined by the Board of directors
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing all necessary information to the Board to function effectively and efficiently & to make informed decisions
- Incorporate principles of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) in all outreach and engagement work
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenue streams necessary to support the mission of NAMI Memphis
- Responsible for the fiscal management of NAMI Memphis, including day-to-day fiscal management, annual budget, and monthly financial reports
- Responsible for reporting and addressing requests made by the person or team charged with third-party oversight
- Responsible for grant writing, grant management, and communications
- Responsible for implementing programs that support the organization’s mission in conjunction with the vision and goals of the Board of directors – keeping in mind the resource and advocacy needs of those in the community affected by mental illness
- Responsible for developing and implementing a strategic plan and assessing the plan’s performance
- Responsible for enhancing NAMI Memphis’s reputation and rapport with the community including mental health providers through the organization’s coordinated, substantial involvement in the community
- Responsible for building collaborative relationships with professionals, community organizations and other non-profits
- Work collaboratively with organization staff/volunteers. Provide direct supervision to office personnel, supervisors of volunteers, and supervision of the NAMI Memphis donation call center
- Serve as NAMI Memphis’s public relations contact to all audiences
- May require some nights, weekends, and occasional travel
- Oversee the organization of the Board, committees, and other applicable meetings
- Recommend policies and administrative guidelines to the Board to provide a framework for the management of NAMI Memphis.
- Review and recommend approval of NAMI Memphis contracts
- Other duties as assigned by the Board following the vision and mission of NAMI Memphis to address emerging needs
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (Master’s is preferred), with experience in fundraising, non-profit organizational leadership, community outreach, mental health advocacy work, and business development/management. NAMI Memphis Board will coordinate background checks for final candidates, and the results will be in the strictest confidence.
Skills and Dispositions Desired:
- Non-profit leadership experience
- Familiarity with mental illness as a professional, caregiver, or individual living with a mental health condition
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with all stakeholders verbally and in writing
- Ability to collaborate with staff and community partners
- Proficiency in working with Microsoft and Google platforms and tools
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
- Experience with strategic planning
- Experience in developing new revenue streams, fundraising, events, and donor relations
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Fiscal management skills, including budget preparation, decision-making, and reporting
- Robust work ethic with a sense of passion and urgency regarding bettering systems and resources for those affected by mental illness – a willingness to learn in areas in which prior knowledge may not exist
- Strong sense of integrity in leadership – conviction to lead with compassion, honesty, and effectiveness
Medical, Dental, Paid Vacation, Sick Leave, 403B Retirement Plan, Life Insurance
How to Apply
How to Apply:
If this role sounds like an excellent fit for you, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Combine all documents into one PDF file with your full name as the file name and write “NAMI Memphis Executive Director, Your Name” in the email subject line.
Please address the following in the cover letter:
- Why are you a good fit for the position of Executive Director for NAMI Memphis?
- Describe a significant accomplishment in your previous or present job.
- What drives your passion for the NAMI mission?
Please Note: Incomplete submissions and follow-up inquiries will not be considered. Only applicants selected for consideration will be contacted. Applications are accepted until the position is filled. All correspondence are confidential. No phone calls please.
NAMI is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. NAMI prohibits discrimination and harassment against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions or any other legally protected group status. We also provide reasonable accommodation for candidates with disabilities.
- Date Posted: March 30, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Executive Leadership
- Service Area: Board Leadership
- Start Date: 02/27/2023
- Salary Range: $60,000-$70,000 annually, with the final amount to be determined based on experience
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk, M-F, Varied hrs, Some weekends required