Nashville Public Radio
Multimedia Producer This Is Nashville
Nashville Public Radio
Headline: Join WPLN’s Daily Show ‘This Is Nashville’ As A Multimedia Producer
Be part of the creative, journalistic engine that powers our daily show.
Every weekday at noon, This Is Nashville provides a platform for real conversation. WPLN’s first-ever daily show brings a wide range of topics to life by centering diverse voices from across the city and region alongside in-depth original reporting and the latest on the day’s top news.
As one of our multimedia producers, you will find and book engaging guests, and produce top-notch audio and digital content to help shape the sound, focus, and editorial direction of This Is Nashville. You’ll be responsible for making clear and professional editorial, audio, and social media decisions as part of a tight-knit team and under the pressure of daily deadlines.
We’re looking for someone with superior creative and editorial judgment who fully grasps our community-first approach and knows what kinds of conversations will make listeners lean in. In addition to production chops, we’re looking for a candidate who displays a clear grasp of the current media environment and a demonstrated ability to use digital platforms like Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok to maximize audience engagement with our content.
If you want to help audiences understand and connect with local issues and their fellow community members, while also shaping the sound and direction of a show, this job is for you. (Extra points for bringing humor and thoughtfulness to a fast-paced news environment.)
What would you be doing?
Here are the job responsibilities for a daily show producer at This Is Nashville:
- Work 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, with nights and weekends as necessary.
- Produce 1-2 live shows per week.
- Produce sound-rich features and scenes.
- Adapt segments and features for use across digital platforms: In addition to the radio show, your work will live on our website and on social media.
- Identify and book guests.
- Pitch and develop episode topics.
- Spend time reporting out in the field, building and maintaining new source relationships with underrepresented communities.
- Prepare the host and others for the show with background, research, and context.
- Help foster a positive workplace culture.
What is This Is Nashville?
This Is Nashville is the flagship daily show from WPLN News and Nashville Public Radio. Since our launch in March 2022, we have interviewed hundreds of people on wide-ranging topics, from Nashville nightlife to domestic violence. Our show is a journey into the identity of Nashville, and a lot of our work dives into our history and its significance to the city we know today.
We’ve taken listeners out into the field with us on a quest to find the purple martins, a night out at one of few remaining lesbian bars in the country, a celebration in Promise Land, Tennessee, and a hike to find a rare and extremely valuable ‘miracle plant.’
WPLN News is the newsroom of Nashville Public Radio, a community-licensed, nonprofit news outlet that strives to cover our region with context, courage, and respect. Within the newsroom, our collaborative and diverse team works together to help every journalist realize their potential on the job, while also giving them space to live a full life outside of it. We strive to perform at the highest level: In recent years, our newsroom has received a Peabody, a National Murrow Award, and a Pulitzer finalist nod, as well as the Daniel Schorr Prize for the best public media journalist under 35.
Our search committee will evaluate those materials on the following criteria:
- Production chops. We’d like to see strong ideas for what makes a compelling segment.
- Calm and creativity in a daily news environment. This job will involve juggling logistical details and problem-solving. Our workflow is designed to minimize the daily pressure, but if a crisis ensues, how will you handle it?
- Commitment to equity. We want to see a clear and demonstrated ability in reaching out to and including diverse communities.
- Community engagement. Building and maintaining new and meaningful source relationships is a must. We need to see a clear ability to do that.
- Quality and range in past work. We want to see your range as a journalist. What are your areas of focus and how do you build your repertoire for them?
Audio skills are a plus.
After rating each application, our search committee will choose a set of finalists to interview. Finalists will then be asked to complete a brief production exercise and a second round of interviews.
The employee in this position is frequently standing, walking, or sitting; using hands to finger, handle, or feel; reaching with hands and arms, and talking or hearing.
Lifts Weight or Exerts Force Work Environment
The employee in this position may regularly lift up to 20 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
$52,000+ (Negotiable based on experience)
About Nashville Public Radio
Nashville Public Radio serves Middle Tennessee by providing trusted in-depth news, engaging music, and unique cultural programs on 90.3 FM WPLN News, WNXP, Nashville Classical Radio, and our various digital platforms. For more than 60 years, listeners have turned to this community-supported service for programming that inspires conversation and curiosity, educates, and entertains. Our values are:
- To operate the station at the highest level of professional standards and integrity.
- To be responsive to our listeners, members, supporters, and public.
- To exhibit mutual respect for our peers and audience.
- To value the member and community support that our station receives.
- To work together in an environment that encourages participation and sharing of the decisions that affect the station and our listeners.
Nashville Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusivity in our hiring. Nashville Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations.
Nashville Public Radio offers a generous benefits package including medical, vision, dental, and a robust Employee Assistance Program inclusive of six free sessions of counseling each year and basic legal assistance. Long-term disability and life insurance are provided at no cost to employees. We also have up to 40 days of paid parental or medical leave, inclusive for adoptive and/or foster parents.
In addition to these benefits, employees receive vacation and sick leave, access to a 401(k) plan with employer matching, and 13 paid holidays, 2 of which are floating to employee preference.
The job profile is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, and/or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
How to Apply
To apply, please click here and upload the following by September 29, 2023.
- Cover letter. Please explain why you bring what we’re looking for.
- Clips. Please upload a document linking to four examples of your work, and a brief explanation of why you’ve chosen these examples. Audio is most welcome.
- Resume. Please keep it to one page and submit it as a PDF. (No need to include your references on this — we’ll ask you for those later if you make it to the finalist round.)
- Date Posted: September 12, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Other
- Salary Range: $52,000
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/week