Shower The People
Mobile Laundry Volunteer Team Leader – AmeriCorps Member
Shower The People
Are you passionate about helping people experiencing homelessness? Do you believe in the power of simple acts of kindness? Help Shower The People provide showers and hygiene services to individuals in need throughout Nashville by coordinating free laundry services.
Half Time, August 15,2022 – July 28, 2023
Imagine the power of your favorite tee shirt. How would it feel to give that up because you had no way to wash it? Shower The People provides showers and mobile laundry services throughout Davidson County, serving people with the greatest barriers and most limited access to these services.
The Mobile Laundry Volunteer Team Leader will be highly organized, detail oriented, proactive, and able to work independently to accomplish goals.
Over the course of the term, the Leader will manage all aspects of the volunteer program, com. The Leader will assist the agency’s mobile laundry teams with clients, build the volunteer base, and help create policies to increase the capacity of the agency’s programs.
This AmeriCorps member will leave their service term with skills in project management, outreach, business development, volunteer coordination, program development, data collection, and community engagement.
Nashville is powered by people of all ages, races, ethnicities, skin tones, sexes, genders, sexualities, religions, abilities, and socioeconomic statuses engaging in service together. This is a city where YOU matter and YOU make a difference. Join us as we tackle the community’s most pressing challenges through service by becoming a Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program member.
The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through generous support from Volunteer Tennessee, The Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, and AmeriCorps, the federal agency connecting individuals and organizations through service and volunteering to tackle the nation’s most pressing challenges.
- Work with team at Shower Service to increase capacity and efficiencies.
- Manage volunteers at Laundry Service.
- Manage community engagement volunteer activities at schools, businesses, and in the warehouse.
- Improve collection of volunteer and client data.
- Operate the laundry trailer at Shower Service and STP’s office space.
- Assist STP team to do supply drops/welfare checks at encampments during “Cold Weather Outreach.”
Typical Day In This Position
This is a new role, so there will be some flexibility in what the day looks like. However, most days will be spent collecting, washing, and dropping off laundry; coordinating with volunteers; and working on program development to streamline the process.
This is a flexible position with evening and weekend hours available.
Members should have experience with or the willingness to develop competencies in these areas:
- Working with individuals experiencing homelessness and/or in active addiction
- Communicating with volunteers quickly and effectively via email and phone
- Proficiency in basic computer skills, including attention to detail in data entry
Key abilities include:
- Experience in first aid (will be taught)
- Someone who is able to work independently, but also enjoys working on projects as a team.
Prerequisites: Some College
Can professional experience be substituted for formal education: Yes
Lift and carry up to 30-50lbs; Responsibilities in this position may entail standing for extended periods of time; Responsibilities in the position may entail serving in the outdoors and potentially in inclement weather; Service environments include outdoor homeless encampments with exposed roots, hanging tree limbs, rocks, debris, narrow trails, and other hazards; Office or service environment may include noisy environments; Service responsibilities require the member to communicate verbally via the telephone and/or computer; Responsibilities include driving a school bus; Service responsibilities require moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another;
Required Driver’s License: Yes
- $3,247.50 education award, upon completion of service contract
- Federal student loan forbearance and accrued interest payment
- Bronze-level health coverage through Healthcare.gov
- Training and professional development in nonprofit management
- $10,000 living allowance, paid in bi-weekly increments
How to Apply
Please apply using the link: https://forms.office.com/r/4BZ11DvFuv
- Date Posted: April 25, 2022
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Philanthropy / CSR
- Start Date: 08/15/2022
- Salary Range: 10000
- Working Hours: 15-20