Minister/Director of Outreach and Community Engagement
Position Description: The minister/director will lead in building bridges that connect church and community through an active and continuous presence in the community with a focus on planning and implementing initiatives and activities that help Connection Church live into its mission and vision:
To make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, the community sees us working together in acceptance and service to members of our greater community who have been neglected or overlooked.
Connection is an LGBTQ+ affirming, new congregation in the Tennessee Conference of the United Methodist Church (formerly Andrew Price UMC and Hickory Bend UMC) where missions and ministries develop discipleship; nurture, spiritually feed, and encourage congregational members; and offer opportunities and experiences for reaching out to the community for witnessing God’s love and acceptance. We are physically located in the Donelson area of Nashville, TN.
- To connect with those we are trying to serve–a largely unchurched population—with a consistent presence in the community by building relationships and partnerships to better understand the needs of the Donelson+ community.
- To connect those needs to the congregation and lead in equipping and organizing a process of engagement with the community to serve the needs.
- To connect the persons-in-need with partners in the community who can also serve them and want to be a part of our outreach vision.
- To support Connection’s mission and vision by leading initiatives or activities that not only serve people but are also invitational to a relationship with Jesus and with our church.
- To work collaboratively with the pastor and other church leaders to develop an outreach and formation ministry that supports our mission and vision.
- Develop and oversee an overall outreach strategy aligned to our vision for Connection and serve as coordinating minister for outreach ministries.
- Take the lead in increasing the involvement of the congregation in outreach.
- Engage with existing community service agencies/organizations to develop or partner programs that minister to community members who are neglected or overlooked.
- Coordinate community outreach efforts in conjunction with Pastor and Outreach/Engage Committee efforts. (may be redundant)
- Develop and maintain communications for the work of this position in newsletters and email blasts (in conjunction with coordinator), social media, local publications, etc.
- Participate in other activities as needed and directed by the pastor.
- Support for ministries opportunities occurring on evenings and weekends will be part of a varied and flexible schedule.
- Knowledgeable about Christian beliefs regarding service.
- Interest in or proven ability in community outreach required; community service skills a plus.
- Creative, outside-the-box thinker with a range of ideas for engaging the community.
- Ability to work with and assist the church in reaching the community.
- Relational skills in working with staff, volunteers and community members.
- Flexibility, openness and ability to relate well with all ages and diverse groups in church and community.
- Working proficiency with office and data computer programs.
- Knowledge of and ability to use Internet communications and relevant social media. (Facebook, Twitter and other media)
- Excellent organizational, language and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with good self-management and time-management skills.
- Must pass a background check and provide personal references.
- Minimum college degree; masters’ degree in divinity, religious studies, social work, or other related studies preferred.
- Preferred experience: 3-5 years in a related field.
- This is a full-time exempt position that reports to the pastor.
- There will be Sunday and possible weekend obligations.
- Paid sick and vacation time.
- Cost sharing for medical benefits available.
- Moving and relocation expenses negotiable where applicable.
How to Apply
- Provide resume, cover letter and other desired materials by e-mail to Connection@apumc.net
- E-mail is preferred over phone calls.
- No USPS/paper mail, please.
- Application deadline Tuesday, December 1, 2020.
- Initial interviews expected December 7 – 11.
- Decision expected by Friday, December 18, 2020.
- Date Posted: November 18, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 01/01/2021
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk, some nights and weekends