The Nashville Food Project
The Nashville Food Project
The Nashville Food Project Mission Statement
Bringing people together to grow, cook and share nourishing food, with the goals of cultivating community and alleviating hunger in our city.
Meals Coordinator – Position Summary
The Meals Coordinator is responsible for the production of food prepared by the TNFP kitchen, with an emphasis and focus on best use of procured resources to be included in the daily food prepped for hot meals, cold meals, and snacks; this position works with regular staff and volunteers, maintains kitchen cleanliness and adherence to Health Department codes, and ensures best practices and proper cooking techniques are employed by the volunteers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
● Support the Production and Kitchen Managers in the daily prepping and cooking of TNFP meals
● Maintain highest best-use of ingredients in accordance with TNFP’s Food Donations Policy and organizational value of stewardship.
● Support the meals team in creating prep lists for ongoing meal preparation and volunteer sessions.
● In collaboration with the Meals Director and kitchen managers, oversee the day-to-day operations for production of all meals and snacks shared with TNFP partner organizations, prioritizing the TNFP mission of serving high-quality, made from scratch meals.
● Consistently meet deadlines for meal preparation and service.
● Practice good time management, working with the kitchen manager to prioritize tasks when necessary.
● Work efficiently to finish key tasks before leaving.
● Collaborate with Meals Director, kitchen managers and Procurement Manager to utilize donated and gleaned ingredients in a timely manner and identify targeted items to seek out from farms.
● Communicate major increases and decreases in inventory of gleaned and donated foods to the Meals Director and kitchen managers.
● Report any needed equipment or facilities repairs to the Meals Director.
● Actively pursue and demonstrate TNFP’s value of hospitality and learning when interacting with other staff members and volunteers.
● Create a welcoming atmosphere and meaningful, efficient experience for all TNFP volunteers
● Provide hands-on training to staff, volunteers, and interns as needed Standards
● Work conscientiously to minimize waste through careful use of ingredients.
● Ensure consistency in food quality and that highest standards are met.
● Ensure Health Department codes are adhered to at all times.
● Ensure that all required tasks are completed by meals staff daily.
● Attend weekly staff meetings and weekly meals team meetings.
● Provide marketing support for meals program including writing articles/blogs for newsletters, providing photos and content for social media.
● Hold staff and volunteers accountable for all policies and procedures of TNFP.
● Maintain accurate meals records and provide data as requested.
• Ability to regularly lift and move at least 30 pounds.
• A minimum 2 years working in the culinary industry. (preferred)
• Ability to instruct and manage volunteers with varying levels of skill, to complete multiple tasks in a fast-paced kitchen environment.
• Cooperative, strong work ethic and a positive attitude; be hard-working, conscientious, communicative and responsible.
• A passion for stewardship of donated resources, and food waste prevention.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
● ServSafe certified or willingness to become certified.
● Highly organized with attention to detail, record keeping and time management skills.
● Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
● Ability to manage multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced environment.
● Be cooperative, have a strong work ethic and a positive attitude; be hard-working, conscientious, communicative and responsible.
● Strong written, oral and electronic communication skills.
● PC proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite.
● A passion for great food and interest in food justice work.
CLASSIFICATION: This is a full-time non exempt hourly position up to 40 hours per week that reports to the Kitchen Manager. This position contributes to the supervision of meals interns and volunteers. Starting rate of pay $17 per hour, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Friday, August 20th.
- Date Posted: August 5, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Other
- Salary Range: $17/hr