Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN
Match Support Specialist
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN
JOB TITLE: Match Support Specialist
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Match Support
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: No
FLSA STATUS: Exempt – Salary
LOCATION: Nashville, TN
BIGGER AND BETTER TOGETHER
For over 50 years Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee has served young people in the Middle TN region. Our work supports our belief that every child has the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (Bigs) and youth (Littles). Through our commitment to quality and innovation, and the passion we have for our work, we develop and sustain positive, life-changing relationships that have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of our youth and the adults who mentor them.
Our Mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. As noted by our Vision, we are driven by a future in which all youth achieve their full potential.
We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. We know that teams perform at their highest when they feel supported and that they belong. Each of our team members bring unique perspectives and skills and we are committed to building a culture where voices are heard, differences are celebrated, and everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work. We are bigger and better together!
About the Role
Big Brothers Big Sisters seeks a Match Support Specialist who will thrive in a growing organization that is dedicated to positively impacting more youth through high quality, 1-to-1 mentoring. In this role, you will support and strengthen mentoring relationships between youth and positive adult mentors. Your coaching and guidance will help empower and inspire youth to reach their full, inherent potential, especially youth of color who are disproportionately impacted by systemic barriers. Primary responsibilities will include providing support to new and existing BBBS matches to ensure child safety, positive outcomes for youth, healthy and satisfying relationships between children and volunteers, and a strong sense of affiliation with BBBS.
Our ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, be organized, be able to provide a positive customer experience, be able to multi-task, and have a passion for improving the lives of young people and our underrepresented youth. This team member will be passionate about and able to engage mentors and community partners from diverse communities, especially within communities of color. Evening and some weekend hours are required. People from the communities we serve are especially encouraged to apply.
Day to day:
- Manage a caseload of volunteer adults (Bigs) and youth (Littles) who have been paired in a mentoring relationship. Through regular support calls, continually assess the match relationship focusing on: child safety, match relationship development, positive youth development and volunteer and family satisfaction.
- Conduct in-person match introductions between the Family and Big in order to help facilitate early relationship development.
- Identify, address and resolve existing and/or potential match challenges through regular coaching conversations and in-person meetings.
- Provide on-going coaching, support and training to help develop and sustain lasting match relationships that have a positive impact on the youth served.
- Maintain up-to-date, accurate and detailed documentation and database records according to Big Brothers Big Sisters standards.
- Work schedule includes regular evening and some weekend hours to best meet the needs of our families and volunteers.
- Provide program participants with solution focused strategies, resources and training that will help to further support match participants.
- Participate in professional training as provided by the agency and the National office to achieve maximum development of professional skills when required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This Job May Be For You…..
- Youth-serving experience, especially working with youth of color and/or from marginalized communities
- Passion for supporting youth through strengths based strategies
- Understanding of issues/barriers that impact children and families from underserved populations
- Belief in the power of mentoring relationships
- Celebrates diversity
- Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to work independently, as well as with a team
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and effectively manage shifting priorities and responsibilities
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills reflecting outstanding customer service, both in-person and by telephone
- Ability to think critically, effectively provide responsive coaching, and draw solid conclusions based on information provided
- Comfortable engaging in challenging conversations
Additionally, we’d love…
- Effective group presentation skills
- Driven to help youth reach their full potential
- Consistent desire to seek out new and more effective methods to support programming
- Understanding of/experience with youth mentoring
- Familiarity with Positive Youth Development strategies
- Spanish fluency
Relevant youth-serving experience or a Bachelor’s degree/college coursework in Social Work or a related field. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, and Excel. Must have a reliable car, valid driver’s license and meet state required automobile insurance minimums.
Because we hire the best people and value our staff, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN works hard to provide competitive benefits to our team. Our comprehensive benefit package includes:
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)- generous portion is paid by BBBSMT
- Company Paid Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability
- Immediate enrollment in our 403B retirement plan – 50% agency match of employee contributions up to 6% of pay, fully vested after 12 months
- Training & Development Programs
- Opportunities for advancement- we promote from within!
- 10 days of paid vacation
- 15 Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years
- Flexible work schedule
To see more of the impact we are making: http://www.mentorakid.org
How to Apply
If this sounds like the position and organization for you, please submit a cover letter and resume to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with “Your Name- Match Support Specialist” in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. Other duties as assigned.
Big Brothers Big sisters of Middle Tennessee celebrates diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Date Posted: August 25, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: $35,568