The Managing Director is a key Intersection team member responsible for the coordination and execution of general administrative operations, including marketing and promotion, finance and budget planning, development and fundraising strategies, strategic planning, and overseeing human resource needs, including staffing, and artist contracting. This is a mostly remote, contract, position averaging 28 hours per month, with some months requiring substantially more time, and some months requiring less time. Some in-person duties may be necessary depending on concert and event needs.
The Intersection is a flexible contemporary music ensemble dedicated to challenging the traditional concert experience, exploring music of the 20th and 21st centuries, supporting living composers, presenting programs for younger audiences, and embracing collaboration, technology, and the avant-garde while expanding, respecting, and embracing the musical and cultural diversity of Nashville. Intersection was founded by conductor Kelly Corcoran in 2014 with the desire to bring a professional contemporary music ensemble to Nashville, and for Nashville’s classical music scene to more accurately reflect the diversity of music being created around the world today. The ensemble has performed in unexpected venues and works with collaborative partners to incorporate dance, lighting, projection, spoken word, and more into performances.
Administration / Operations: Approximately 10 hours per month
● Communicate with guest artists and partners regarding logistics, contracts, schedules, equipment, and operations associated with events and projects.
● Coordinate music rental and music distribution to the ensemble.
● Secure performance and rehearsal venues and confirm all production details.
● Ensure proper volunteers are in place to assist with production needs and front-of-house needs.
Marketing and Promotion: Approximately 8 hours per month
● Work collaboratively with Social Media Manager and Artistic Director on event promotion, new audience development plans, graphic design, poster design, and program creation for all concerts and events.
● Oversee website management, including sponsor recognitions, musician rosters and bios, and event schedules.
Finance, HR, and Business Management: Approximately 5 hours per month
● Perform accounting and financial-related duties related to billing, payroll, accounts receivable, and cash flow management in collaboration with the Treasurer and Artistic Director.
● Manage general correspondence about employment opportunities with Intersection.
● Identify emerging staffing needs and work collaboratively to lead the recruitment process.
Development and Fundraising: Approximately 3 hours per month
● Work collaboratively with Grants Manager, Board, and Artistic Director to develop fundraising strategy and goals.
● Meet and continue to cultivate current, past, and potential donors and sponsors through performances, community, and fundraising events.
● Coordinate with the Grants Manager to manage the donor database, print and mail donor letters, and provide needed details and information for grant applications and reports.
Board Management: Approximately 2 hours per month
● Work with the Board and Artistic Director to develop a strategic plan.
● Strategize new board recruitment in collaboration with the Artistic Director and Board.
● Communicate with the board regularly.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 1-5 years of experience in a related field, such as, higher education, non-profit, or government
- Familiarity with the nonprofit arts sector preferred
- Preferred 3-5 years of organizational management experience and expertise with demonstrated competence
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills are necessary.
- The ability to balance the diverse needs of the job and its various constituents is necessary.
- Program planning, development, implementation, and leadership skills are necessary.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, multi-task, work well under pressure, and be willing to rapidly learn new skills as needed is necessary.
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management is preferred.
- Ability to function effectively in a fluid and flexible complex and fast-paced organizational environment with demanding high energy, discretion, patience, enthusiasm, and humor.
- Values the importance of equity as an organization’s operating principle and is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
$30 per hour.
Flexible Work Hours
How to Apply
Please submit Resume and Cover Letter email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicant review begins immediately. Position open until filled.
- Date Posted: August 31, 2023
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 10/01/2023
- Salary Range: $30 per hour
- Working Hours: Flexible