Manager of Publications and Media
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for managing digital and print publications of the National Health Care for the Homeless Council and NIMRC – National Institute of Medical Respite Care (a special initiative of the Council); managing incoming media requests; managing communications-based special services to teams within the Council and NIMRC; securing media placements in state, regional and national outlets; curating and creating selected content for the Council and NIMRC websites (www.nhchc.org and www.nimrc.org); providing communications support and training for Council and NIMRC member organizations; and contributing to cross-team branding and marketing efforts for events, initiatives and social media presence of the Council and NIMRC.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Digital + Print Publications
- Develop an ongoing publications + media masterplan for the Council and NIMRC in conjunction with the Senior Director of Advancement and members of the Advancement Team in the areas of membership services, events and sponsorships, websites, in-house video productions, and social media branding activities.
- Manage content and design coordination with internal teams and external designer(s) on the Annual Report and Better Together (e-magazine).
- Manage recurring and special purpose digital publications that include annual monthly, quarterly, and periodic distributions to internal and public-facing audiences (e.g., Solidarity, R & R, Council COVID-19 Flash Blast, Mobilizer, Helping Hands, Better Together, Council and NIMRC media releases, the Council’s annual report and email marketing messaging).
- Manage selected content creation, editing, proofreading and curated pieces for the Council and NIMRC websites and work with the Manager of Websites on communication-related services.
- Manage content creation in conjunction with the Manager of Media Technology and teams for videography storylines, script development and editing, and communications support for studio productions.
- Provide/curate in-house and external photographers, designers and communication-related vendors.
- Develop, draft and distribute media releases for the Council and NIMRC to national, state, regional, local and special purpose publication.
- Develop and maintain a media list of publications and contacts for key national, regional, state, local and special purpose publications.
- Track and report on media activity on the Council and NIMRC along with partner organizations.
- Manage incoming media requests drawing upon the Media Bureau of the Council and NIMRC(including setting up interviews, providing possible talking points derived from Council and NIMRC publications to interviewees, sit in on interviews, provide follow-up as requested from reporters/editors, and report out on media engagements.
- Identify key media outlets and secure the placement of articles, round-ups and editorials by and from Council and NIMRC staff and leadership.
- Develop and produce branding and storytelling content and opportunities for the Council and NIMRC that may be used in multiple venues (e.g., social media, videography, and training scripts).
Communications Support + Training
- Develop communication materials and provide support to Teams within the Council and NIMRC for messaging initiatives (e.g. promotion of webinars, learning collaboratives, summits and special meetings).
- Design and present learning materials and opportunities for communication staff in member organizations on topics such as fundamentals of media outreach, letter-writing to constituents, and drafting press releases (e.g., periodic webinars, training pamphlets and live presentations at meetings).
EDUCATION + EXPERIENCE
- B.A./B.S. in a field of communication (e.g., Communications, Journalism, English, Public Relations or Marketing) or related field. Master’s degree and/or advanced studies preferred. Significant professional experience may substitute for a degree.
- 3 – 5 years of directly related work experience. 6+ years of professional experience preferred.
- Work experience may be in the public, private or nonprofit sectors. Nonprofit sector experience preferred.
- Strong collaborative skills in message design, institutional branding, project execution and evaluation
- Experience with intra-team and cross-team collaboration preferred
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and prioritize projects while working with deadlines and a fast-paced environment
PERSONAL + PROFESSIONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Self-motivated, ability to self-manage and meticulous about accuracy and deadlines
- Technology skills and working knowledge of a variety of communication settings (e.g., digital, video production and social media platforms)
- Capacity to produce high-level, brand-driven content
- Be personally supportive of the mission and values of the council
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
- Able to adapt to a changing work environment and manage a variety of different tasks including new systems and software
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and social skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Photography, video and basic design skills are highly preferred
- Commitment to a collaborative team approach to organizational tasks
- Primarily sitting at a computer station with some light lifting (approximately 20 pounds) occasionally
- Occasional domestic travel required (e.g., National Conference in the Spring and Governing Membership/Network Steering Committee Meeting in the Fall).
- The National Health Care for the Homeless Council is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate the varied attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person unique and we believe that fostering a culture of inclusion is essential to Council excellence. We promote an environment of respect, communication and understanding while actively seeking opportunities to learn about and foster practices that further facilitate equity. The Council practices an affirmative approach to diversity in hiring and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender or identification), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, military service or other non-merit factor.
SALARY RANGE + WORK SETTING
- The established salary for the position is mid-50s depending on qualifications, experience and education for a 37.5 workweek.
- Position may work out of Nashville headquarters of the Council or may be remote.
How to Apply
- For consideration, applicants must submit a resume AND a cover letter that details how the candidate is specifically suited to the position of Manager of Publications + Media. NOTE: Applications without a cover letter WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- Applications submitted by April 15, 2022 will receive preferred review.
- Applications should be emailed to Dott Freeman, Senior Director of Advancement at dfreeman @ nhchc.org
- Questions about the application process should be directed to Dott Freeman, Senior Director of Advancement at dfreeman @ nhchc.org.
- Date Posted: March 25, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 04/18/2022
- Salary Range: 50,000-56,000
- Working Hours: 37.5 hrs/wk; M-F 8:30am - 4:30am