Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee
Manager, Hunger & Health
Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee
We are hiring for a full-time job to join the Agency & Program Services Team at Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN.
What you’ll do:
Summary: Collaborates with the team to design and implement partnerships and initiatives that work to solve hunger issues in our community. Collaborates with healthcare partners on hunger as a social determinate of health. Responsible for implementing SHFB nutrition policy, programming, and education. Directly supervises students in the Dietetic Intern program.
- Develops and implements innovative partnerships that move clients from food insecurity to self-sufficiency.
- Oversees SHFB healthcare initiatives to include working cross functionally on grants opportunities, implementation, tracking and reporting. Collaborates with hospitals, safety net clinics and healthcare organizations to provide community resources addressing hunger. Manages all healthcare initiatives.
- Provides presentations and training on Food Insecurity and Hunger & Health.
- Implements nutrition outreach program, provides nutrition education & materials to various entities, consults with partners who request nutrition assistance, and directly supervises students in the Dietetic Intern program
- Supervises 2-3 Dietic Intern students for 1 – 2 week intervals, averaging about 40 students per year, but does not supervise long-term SHFB staff.
When & Where: Typical daytime schedule of Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 4:30 PM including occasional evenings and weekends as needed for meetings and special events. Works primarily out of our distribution center in Nashville with routine daytime travel up to 15% of work week within local service area.
Is this you?
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required. Nutrition, Food Administration, Dietetics, or related area preferred. Credentialed Registered Dietitian (RD) by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) preferred.
- Experience: 2+ years of related work experience or training.
- Skills: works cross functionally to design and implement strategic programming that increases nutritious food access across our 46-county service area; plans and implements nutrition education classes and materials for children, adults, and seniors; interacts with persons of various social, cultural, economic, and educational backgrounds for the purpose of nutrition education; public speaking and presentation skills; supervises dietetic interns, including organizing workflow to accomplish established objectives and training.
- Other requirements: our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background, Motor Vehicle Record and a pre-employment drug test. Current Driver’s License and automobile insurance are also required. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case by case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity and job relation).
What Second Harvest has to offer:
Work with a purpose: As one of Middle Tennessee’s largest nonprofits, our local hunger relief work is uniquely rewarding, hands on and solutions oriented. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results. Our mission is to feed hungry people and work to solve hunger issues in our community. In the 2020 fiscal year, we distributed more than 41 million pounds of food to more than 460 Partner Agencies, providing more than 36.9 million meals to hungry children, families, and seniors throughout our 46-county service area. A career with Second Harvest ensures that you not only earn a paycheck, but also help your local community through meaningful work. If you are passionate about serving your neighbors in need and are committed to our mission of ending hunger, we invite you to join our 120+ person team in the fight against hunger, as we work to achieve our vision of a hunger free community.
Award winning workplace: we are a best in class workplace because we are passionate and people focused – we listen, respect, care and challenge each other, so that our community can count on us for our critical work. Our employees have identified us among The Tennessean’s Top Workplaces seven times based solely on employee surveys and feedback. We are invested in our team and offer frequent whole-person wellness opportunities through our Harvest Wellbeing Program. We focus on staff physical and mental health, financial empowerment, personal and professional development as well as social and community engagement. There is ample opportunity to be engaged and grow with Second Harvest.
Compensation & Benefits: Second Harvest is proud to offer rich and affordable total compensation packages. Total compensation for full-time employment includes many benefits, in addition to base pay. The time off policies include: 10 holidays, 12+ vacation, 12+ sick and personal time as required by law. Traditional benefits offered include medical (employee-only coverage paid 100% by employer) dental and vision. Additional available benefits include retirement (with a generous employer match), disability insurance (short and long-term), life insurance as well as long-term care insurance.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity: Second Harvest embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of the communities in which we serve. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and promote a talented and diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential. We provide equal employment to all applicants and employees regardless of race, religion, color, gender, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or other legally protected characteristics.
How to Apply
Think this sounds like a role and workplace where you would thrive? Apply now!
You can express interest in joining our team, in any of the following ways:
- Online: employment application on our website – http://www.secondharvestmidtn.org/job-opportunities/?gnk=apply&gni=8a7885a8798f6ffd0179fb3a20595741&gns=CNM. Resume and cover letter can be uploaded with applications on the website as well.
- Email: Resume and cover letter can be sent to our Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In person: applications can be completed by visiting us on-site at any of our distribution centers, locations can be found on our website at https://www.secondharvestmidtn.org/contact/.
Thanks for your interest in working for Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN. We love it here and think you will too.
- Date Posted: June 11, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Health (Physical, Mental)
- Working Hours: M-F, 8 A - 4:30 PM