Licensed Alcohol and Drug Abuse Councilor II
Working from the Nashville office and under the supervision of the Clinical Director, Dismas House seeks a full-time Licensed Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor II (LADAC II) to provide support and peer recovery services to its residents.
We’re looking for a compassionate, care-driven professional who believes in helping individuals discover, plan, and live a life in recovery. The ideal candidate has experience or a passion for working with justice-involved persons and a broad knowledge of recovery support programs (12-steps, SMART, Refuge Recovery, etc.).
The LADAC II will cohesively work with the Dismas Care Team (vp of programs, clinical director, case managers, admissions manager, and program coordinator) who meet weekly to discuss each resident’s progress. They must have flexibility with work hours including the ability to work some evening and weekend hours as needed and must have a valid driver’s license, a reliable car and ability to go into prisons and jails if needed.
We would like to fill this position as soon as possible.
- Meet individually with residents as needed to assist in developing a personalized plan for recovery that meets the unique needs and strengths of that resident.
- Review progress and challenges and provide accountability for actions toward recovery.
- Meet regularly and communicate with program team to discuss resident’s progress and discuss best practice.
- Manage the program’s 12-step requirement process, including printing and stocking folders with meeting forms, reviewing comments, following up with residents, attend and vet possible recovery meetings, and guide residents on attaining sponsorship and coordinate with program coordinator to ensure an integrated process.
- Conduct random drug and alcohol tests as needed. If female, order drug tests for residents as needed.
- Communicate regularly with residents about policies and concerns, answering questions about their needs, goals, and treatment plans.
- Maintain a current list of recovery resources.
- Document within Apricot each encounter with a resident that focuses on their recovery in a timely manner or by the end of the next business day.
- Attend all mandatory trainings, workshops and meeting as required.
- Assist in room searches if needed.
- Schedule and attend 12-step and other recovery meetings as needed.
- Attend and escort residents on quarterly outing(s) as needed.
- Facilitate Psychoeducation groups focusing on addiction and recovery topics.
- Contribute to development and facilitation of recovery programming, in collaboration with Program Coordinator and Clinical Director.
- Develop recovery events and work collaboratively with Dismas staff to facilitate events.
- Assign and review step work with each resident who is committed to 12-step recovery programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned and needed.
DESIRED BACKGROUND & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Current LADAC II certification with State of TN.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Behavioral Health or Social Service-related field.
- 1-3 years in related experience in recovery support services.
- Free of substance use dependency for at least 2 years preceding hire.
- Broad knowledge of available recovery programs, including but not limited to 12-step, SMART recovery, Celebrate Recovery and Refuge Recovery.
- Ability to identify and accept a resident’s stage of change while using MI and other strategies to increase motivation for change.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and a capacity to communicate effectively, empathetically and with a trauma-informed approach to the clients we serve.
- Propensity to work with energy, a high degree of initiative and from a positive perspective while maintaining flexibility and attention to detail.
- Enormous passion for and commitment to the mission of Dismas House and serving and working with justice-involved men and an understanding of prison culture desired.
- Strong organizational and administrative abilities, including increasing efficiencies around systems, procedures, and protocols.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of database programs and Windows based operating systems.
- Comfortable going inside correctional facilities.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Excellent benefits package including generous paid time off, paid health, dental and vision insurance, and a 401k.
How to Apply
Send resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
No person in the Dismas organization shall on the grounds of race, gender, disability, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation be excluded from the participation in, or be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity associated with Dismas House.
- Date Posted: December 19, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 01/16/2023
- Salary Range: Dependent on Experience
- Working Hours: 40 hours per week