Tennessee Education Association
Legal Department Associate
Tennessee Education Association
TEA Legal is an in-house law firm that, among other things, assists TEA members with a broad range of employment related issues. The candidate who fills this position will report to the Assistant Executive Director/General Counsel and will work collaboratively with TEA’s legal staff and attorneys by providing administrative support for the legal services division and serving as the central point of contact for matters that make their way to TEA Legal and the TEA Hotline.
TEA Legal is a fast-paced environment requiring the associate to give great attention to detail, to have the ability to multi-task, to work under pressure of deadlines, and to timely complete routine and recurring administrative tasks. The associate will be exposed to confidential attorney-client matters and must adhere to a strict non-disclosure policy with respect to those confidential matters. The ability to communicate with members using poise, compassion, and professionalism is required.
The successful candidate will need to reside in or near the Nashville area and must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Candidate’s main job location will be TEA Headquarters. The position will require participation in occasional evening and weekend Association events.
Essential Job Functions:
- Clerical duties, including filing, office management, creating conference agendas, and preparing documents and presentations.
- Answer incoming telephone calls to legal services, respond to member inquiries, and refer members to legal staff, litigation counsel, or other association staff as appropriate.
- Assist with the Advocacy Hotline by answering calls, creating tickets, and performing other clerical duties as assigned.
- Transcribe, draft, and proofread correspondence and legal documents for the legal staff.
- Perform basic research.
- Maintain legal services’ filing system.
- Process litigation counsel statements onto the DuShane Legal Management System (DLMS).
- Assist legal manager with audits.
- Prepare and file EEL liability claims with the insurance carrier and periodically follow-up to ensure claims have been processed.
- Check membership of all potential clients and current cases in litigation; prepare and mail dues letter as needed.
- Gain a working knowledge of TEA’s membership data entry system.
- Manage visitors to Legal Services.
- Maintain a professional and positive demeanor.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), and able to type a minimum of 50 words per minute.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proactive approaches to problem-solving.
- Resourceful team-player, with the ability to work independently.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response.
- Four-year college degree is preferred
- 2+ years administrative support experience
- Experienced in Adobe Acrobat, and Social Media web platforms
Salary/Benefits: TEA is offering a generous and competitive salary and benefits package that is in accordance with its Associate staff salary schedule. Excellent fringe benefits package including full family health insurance; dental, pension, vision and life insurance; retirement and leave package.
How to Apply
Application Procedure: Candidates who wish to apply may do so by submitting an application and resume to Executive Director, Terrance J. Gibson by emailing Jessica Holmes. Applications may be completed and submitted online at teateachers.org or sent to the attention of Jessica Holmes at email@example.com. Questions about the application process may be sent to Jessica Holmes via the email address above or the applicant can call TEA and ask for Jessica Holmes at 615-242-8392.
- Date Posted: June 22, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Education