Legal Aid Society
Legal Assistant II- Immigration/ Family Law
Legal Aid Society
Legal Aid Society has an immediate opening for a Legal Assistant II in its Nashville office. The Legal Assistant II provides case management assistance to LAS’ Immigration and Family Law attorneys through the preparation of legal documents, preliminary research and conducting client intake and interviews and includes some secretarial duties. To help create and maintain positive working relationships with organizations in the service area, the Legal Assistant II also conducts outreach events about Legal Aid Society’s mission and services.
This position is funded in part by, and in collaboration with, one or more grants. Personnel must adhere to goals and outcomes detailed in the grant contract. This position is funded for the duration of the grant and subsequent renewal may result in modification of job duties and responsibilities.
- Prepare affidavits, legal correspondence and other documents for review by case handlers.
- Assist in trial preparation by organizing exhibits and assisting with other tasks as needed.
- Promptly and accurately assist case handlers with client meetings, research, case management, filings and other tasks.
- Conduct outreach events about Legal Aid Society’s mission and services.
- Create and maintain positive working relationships with organizations in the service area and state which would benefit the client population.
- Keep track of case statuses for case handlers.
- Review documents and report to attorneys.
- Conduct intake interviews and screen applicants for conflicts of interest, legal problem, and eligibility. Follow up as necessary.
- Communicate with applicants about the process and timelines for assistance.
- Provide clients with information and referrals to other resources as appropriate.
- Transcribe dictation, including memoranda, letters, briefs, complaints and other legal documents.
- Assist case handlers with case work.
The ideal candidate will have:
- High school diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- minimum of 2 years prior experience working in a law office, court, social service agency, or other relevant setting.
- knowledge of immigration law.
- the ability to work in matters involving sensitive or traumatic circumstances.
- fluency in written and spoken Spanish is a plus.
- Proficiency in use of office equipment and technology.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Comprehensive benefits package.
Our Mission: Legal Aid Society’s mission is to advance, defend and enforce the legal rights of low income and vulnerable people in order to secure for them the basic necessities of life. Our staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal income taxation, health advocacy, nonprofit group representation, social security and special education. To learn more about LAS, please visit www.las.org
Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
How to Apply
How to Apply: Email cover letter, resume, and three references (with contact information) in PDF format to our Hiring Manager at HR@las.org. No phone calls, please.
- Date Posted: June 9, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Children / Youth