Division of TennCare
TennCare is made up of the Tennessee Medicaid program, the Office of eHealth Initiatives, the Strategic Planning Initiatives Group and Cover Tennessee. TennCare’s Office of General Counsel (OGC) is responsible for providing legal advice and counsel to all divisions of TennCare. This Legal Assistant position is in OGC’s Estate Recovery Unit. As required by federal law, estate recovery is the process by which TennCare recoups payments for long term care services from the estates of individuals who received these services while living. This unit handles a high volume of estate recovery cases and is responsible for recovering over $25 million annually.
• Research estate recovery cases to help determine if they are cost effective to pursue
• Determine if cases qualify for various exemptions to the estate recovery process
• Handle inquiries from interested parties such as heirs at law, outside counsel and the county courts
• Assist attorneys as needed with various inquiries, research and projects
• Prepare pleadings and correspondence for assigned estate recovery cases
• Prepare, transmit, and file summonses
• Conduct research to locate heirs and creditors
• Request and process claims and checks for court costs
• Communicate with third parties such as administrators and court clerks
• Coordinate hearing dates to reduce travel and maximize efficiency
• Review cases to verify accuracy of claim amounts and ensure no documentation is missing
• Track case status for events scheduled in assigned cases
• Obtain and maintain current records for state probate/chancery courts, including filing fee information
• Locate, contact, and maintain current records for potential court appointed administrators for each county
• Assist with accounting and bookkeeping, such as annuity paperwork
• Mentor and train other estate recovery employees
• Applicants for this position must have experience in the legal industry, with experience in litigation, probate, or bankruptcy law preferred.
• Applicants must have strong oral and written communication skills and provide excellent customer service to both internal and external clients.
• Applicants must have strong organization and have the ability to work independently and prioritize assignments.
• Applicants must also have research skills and must show great attention to detail.
• Applicants will regularly use case management software (AbacusLaw), Microsoft Office, and various electronic databases.
For more information about the great benefits available to State of Tennessee employees; click here: https://www.tn.gov/hr/employees1/benefits.html
How to Apply
Please go to https://www.tn.gov/careers/apply-here.html. Search by “job title” or by “TennCare” to see all of our current job opportunities. Apply today!
- Date Posted: October 7, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Legal
- Service Area: Government