Akiva School is a Kindergarten through 6th grade school that is dedicated to providing our students with the opportunity to learn about, analyze, and develop their identity as Jews and Americans in the world. Located in Nashville, TN, the school is dedicated to academic excellence in both General and Judaic Studies.
The Learning Specialist’s primary responsibility is to work alongside parents, administration and faculty to attend to the academic and social/emotional health of the students alongside the School Counselor. This is a full-time position that includes teaching groups of students, individual students as well as special classes, as needed. The Learning Specialist will serve as a member of a student support team including the Head of School, the faculty, as well as the School Counselor.
The Learning Specialist works alongside the administration, faculty, and parents to support, monitor, enrich, and coordinate the learning experiences for students during the school day at Akiva as well as the After School support program through:
Duties and responsibilities:
● Observe all students, at the teacher’s, parent’s, or administration’s request, who display academic difficulties to assess their learning strengths and challenges.
● Support all students and their teachers who would receive the equivalent of an IEP in a public school.
● Take part in the Admission process by screening potential students, observing them in their learning environment and reporting to the Admission team.
● Develop, support, implement and communicate instructional learning plans with long-term goals and specific objectives for identified students.
● Direct one-on-one and/or small group intervention and remediation both in and out of the classroom.
● Initiate and attend parent conferences and team meetings as needed.
● Consult with teachers, parents, administration, and outside professionals regarding special learning needs of students and propose and help implement and accommodate, modification plans, strategies, and materials for school and home interventions.
● Provide consultation services to school staff and parents to assist them in understanding and supporting students’ academic needs.
● Act as the top advocate for all children with learning needs (both for support and enrichment) by collecting and coordinating prior assessment data and other relevant information to provide year- to year follow through for classroom teachers and parents.
● Provide in-service staff training opportunities as appropriate.
● Pursue ongoing professional development and learning opportunities for parents as needed
● Organize and facilitate standardized testing: CTP4, and WrAP (and other assessments) as well as benchmarking and progress monitoring throughout the year.
● Organize public funding through Metro Schools and all areas connected to this funding including: Title I services for tutoring or after school programming, Title IIa professional development, Title III ELL services, etc…
● Organize all outside tutoring/services for children both public and private including but not limited to: academic volunteers, OT’s, PT’s, speech therapists, etc…
● Other duties as assigned.
We are looking for someone with a passion for what they do and a commitment to strong communication with teachers, students, and parents. We are looking for an individual who understands the beauty in every child and someone who is committed to helping every child find both the confidence and the skills to thrive. We look forward to meeting and speaking with any qualified candidate. Knowledge of Hebrew is a plus.
Availiable upon request.
How to Apply
We encourage interested applicants to visit our website at www.akivanashville.net. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Learning Specialist in the heading.
- Date Posted: October 26, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth