Andrew Jackson Foundation
Andrew Jackson Foundation
The mission of the Andrew Jackson Foundation is to preserve The Hermitage, the home of President Andrew Jackson, to create learning opportunities, and to inspire citizenship through experiencing the life and unique impact of Jackson.
The Lead Interpreter facilitates excellent visitor experiences at Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage by providing efficient and welcoming services to visitors, and highly organized coordination and oversight of the Mansion Interpreters. Lead Interpreters mentor and supervise interpretive staff during programs, tours, and other functions as assigned. Lead Interpreters also provide special skills to enhance the ongoing work of the department. Lead Interpreters conduct VIP tours, In Their Footsteps tours, Ghost tours, and various special programs when seasonally appropriate.
- Coordinates the daily interpretive operations of the site at the direction of the Director of Interpretation
- Assists with developing and executing interpreter orientation, and training.
- Assists Director of Interpretation with preparation of training materials and evaluation of interpretive staff.
- Provides direction to part-time interpreters regarding the preparation and maintenance of interpretive costuming, props, and other resources.
- Assists in technological endeavors as they relate to the interpretive services.
- Assists with special events and programs, site-wide, as requested.
- Utilizes a unique and specialty skill set that enhances the work of the department (i.e., tailoring, research, or living history skills)
- Assists with research and development of interpretive programs and manage their implementation.
- Coordinates mansion tours according to the timed ticket system, and ensures tours are timely.
- Provides reports in a timely manner.
- Represents The Hermitage in public events, groups, and organizations.
- Assists with evaluation of interpretive programs.
- Coordinate Mansion response to medical and weather emergencies.
- Open and close Mansion, following established Security procedure and serve as primary communication point at the Mansion.
- Notify the Director of Interpretation when disciplinary action is needed.
- Participate in all training activities.
- Cross-train with AJC Guest Services staff.
- Ensure that all preservation and safety procedures are followed by guests and staff.
- BA in history, education, or museum studies preferred.
- Mastery of a related historic trade, staff training, or other specialty skill preferred.
- 1-3 years’ experience in delivering educational and interpretive programs in a museum or historic home.
- Knowledge of the principles of site interpretation, customer service.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills.
- Must be a self-starter, work well with others, and pay excellent attention to detail.
- Experience in delivering interpretive/education programs through a variety of modalities and able to interact with all ages, nationalities, and those who are physically or intellectually challenged.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including regular weekends, some holidays, and occasional evenings.
- Proficiency at using Microsoft Suite.
The Andrew Jackson Foundation provides a comprehensive benefits package including healt, dental, vision, life, and 401(k).
How to Apply
To apply please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
- Date Posted: June 21, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk