YMCA of Middle Tennessee
JCD Operations Director
YMCA of Middle Tennessee
Consistent with the Christian mission and Vision of the YMCA of Middle Tennessee, and in cooperation with other YMCA staff, under the direction of the JCD Associate Executive Director, the Director of Operations-Resident Camp – Groups and Conference position is responsible for the overall preparation, operation, budgeting, marketing, recruitment, training and day-to-day operations of the Joe C Davis Outdoor Center’s Camp Widjiwagan residential camp and the Groups and Conference Department.
- Model the YMCA core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility; implement character development and the YMCA core values in all programs and all aspects of outdoor center operations
- Model and put into practice behavior that supports inclusion and diversity
- Represent the YMCA and maintain appropriate relationships with area organizations, community leaders, and businesses
- Directs supervises, and monitors Summer Resident Camp and Conference and Retreats operations to meet Joe C. Davis Outdoor Center and YMCA objectives and adhere to state, local, and YMCA health and safety regulations. Including but not limited to the Health Department, ACA, American Red Cross, and ACCT.
- Develop, monitor, forecast, and manage a $1.5M annual budget for the groups and retreats department and a $1M annual budget for Resident Camp to meet fiscal objectives
- Maintain Camp Brain Desktop Database for JCD groups and events and Camp Widjiwagan Resident Camp and running reports as needed
- Recruit, hire, supervise, and train full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff to ensure both departments are adequately staffed to support the department’s calendar, bookings, and summer registrations
- Partner with the Association marketing team to utilize web, paper, newsletters, Web pages, and e-blasts to attract day and overnight conferences/retreats and market group programming
- Oversee all reservations, scheduling, staffing, and Resident Camp registrations, including the creation of contracts and required forms, catering coordination, and coordinating necessary support with other departments for each program and event or retreat.
- Hold weekly staff meetings to review and discuss all work to be completed for each function, create function sheets, assign duties to department staff, and coordinate with other departments, ensuring that every need for each group and guest is met with creativity and enthusiasm
- Oversee and support team with business functions as related to group payments, including account receivables and collections, scheduling, and booking
- Set sales objectives for the department and lead the team in developing strategies to meet sales objectives
- Maintain work schedule at peak times to be visible and available to guests and staff
- Constantly evaluate the success of program offerings and guest input to create innovative options and new packages to secure new business for group and dining programs
- Train staff, evaluate performance, and make equipment/facility repairs in adherence to ACCT, ACA, and ERI policies.
- Provides daily leadership and supervision for waterfront programs including American Red Cross compliance, boating and sailing, and pool maintenance/chemicals.
- Compiles program statistics; monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in the program
- Supervises and develops programming with the program team to implement successful teen programming, off-site expeditions, seasonal camping, family programming, and more
- Oversees that appropriate records are maintained including program registration, staff and attendance rosters, and equipment and training logs
- Creates the schedule and program activities to meet the demands of guests and Camp Widji objectives
- Serves as Camp Widji’s International Staff liaison in conjunction with the International YMCA and other staffing agencies; recruits, hires, trains, and assists with cultural transitions to working and living in the United States
- Maintain and supervise high adventure equipment and inspections including but not limited to Big Buzz tower, giant swing, Mt. Widji, Wet Willie Tower, Low Ropes courses, Pamper Pole, and zip line and ensuring operating permits and certifications are current.
- Acquire and hold certifications and licenses necessary to ensure safe and proper implementation of all program areas and proper training and supervision of staff in specialty areas in order to provide the safest and highest quality programs possible.
- Serve on appropriate Board Committees, identifying opportunities for committee members to deepen involvement and support the growth of the departments
Passion, enthusiasm, and commitment to the mission and cause of the YMCA
Superior supervisory skills and an enthusiastic personality with the ability to inspire and motivate staff, volunteers, and members to create a culture of service within our programs
Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
- Must present a professional image possess conflict resolution skills, and demonstrate sound judgment and initiative
- Must be highly organized with the ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other software programs, as well as the ability to use most office equipment, is required
- Ability to analyze complex information, and to define and solve problems
- Strong ability to manage and develop an operating budget
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and rotating weekends, and serve as The Manager on Duty
- Minimum 21 years of age
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Minimum 3 years of summer program management
- Minimum 3 years of supervisory experience is required including the ability to recruit, train, motivate, and supervise staff as well as the ability to work with committees
- Possess extensive knowledge of camp programming: sports, arts, challenge course, swimming, boating, literacy, equestrian, outdoor living, cabin life, evening programs, outdoor education and special events
- The position requires one to live on-site
- Before the start of 1st shift: New Hire Orientation training
- Within 30 days of hire: Basic Life Support, First Aid and Emergency Oxygen
- YMCA Team Leader or Multi-Team/Branch Leader certification preferred
- Benefits package including generous paid time off for full-time staff
- Participation in Y Retirement plan and 403 (b) savings account upon eligibility
- Free membership at all 14 wellness center locations
- Discounts on youth programs, summer camps, and sports instruction
How to Apply
Click HERE to Apply.
- Date Posted: November 3, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: $52,124.80 - $65,156 (depending on experience)
- Working Hours: Typically Monday - Friday and serve as weekend or evening MOD on a rotating basis, based on the needs of the program and participants