Disability Rights Tennessee
Disability Rights Tennessee
Disability Rights Tennessee seeks an Investigator/Advocate. This position provides investigation and legal based advocacy services with the goal of eliminating the risk of harm and discrimination. Ideal candidates are well rounded individuals who possess diverse knowledge of disability. This position requires travel within Tennessee. Home internet is required but technology will be provided by DRT. Vaccination for COVID-19 is required. NOTE: Only resumes with a cover letter will be considered.
Who We Are
Disability Rights Tennessee (DRT) is a non-profit organization with the mission of protecting the rights of Tennesseans with disabilities. DRT was founded in 1978 and as of today has served over 55,000 Tennesseans with disabilities. DRT provides legal advocacy services to people with disabilities across the state with numerous issues, including employment discrimination, safety in schools, abuse and neglect, and access to community resources and services.
What You’ll Do
- Visit on-site or virtually a variety of settings where people with disabilities live or receive services to monitor and/or investigate issues that may cause harm or discrimination.
- Locations may include state mental health hospitals, community-based group homes, state prisons, jails, nursing homes, hospitals, youth residential treatment facilities, and juvenile justice facilities.
- Activities include observation; resident and staff interviews; policy and records review
- Objective review of information
- Draft reports and recommendations based on findings
- Negotiate with facility or licensing agency for change
- Provide legally based advocacy to assist individuals with disabilities in resolving complaints of harm or discrimination
- As needed to meet programmatic goals, participate in other activities such as:
- councils, boards, and committees
- outreach, information gathering, and presentations
- professional development and team building activities
- provide input into public policy efforts
- collaborate in the development of content for social media, public reports, and publications
Keys to Success: Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To be successful in this job, you must possess these values, skills, and abilities:
- commitment to increasing knowledge of the disability community
- dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- strong communication skills
- strong attention to detail and objectivity
- strong organization and time management skills to meet timelines
- initiative to work independently
- ability to work well in teams
- creativity and innovation
- computer proficiency, including Microsoft Outlook & Teams as well as online database
- sound professional judgment
- professional personal presentation
Education requirements are flexible. College degree is preferred; however, experience will always be considered in lieu of a degree.
What Else You Should Know
Equity, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of DRT’s mission, values, and daily practice. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we actively seek candidates from diverse backgrounds to join our team including but not limited to candidates with disabilities, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, professionals from various generations, and veterans.
The position is full-time (37.5 hours per week, 7.5 hours per day). In-office work will be required at times (Knoxville or Nashville). Remote work will be allowed for portions of this position. The role does require travel, and a valid driver’s license is necessary.
The salary for this position ranges from $35,000 to $45,000. Exact salary depends on experience. We offer excellent benefits such as flexible schedule, remote work, maternity/paternity leave, paid federal and state holidays, and insurance options including medical, vision, dental, life, and disability.
How to Apply
If this seems like you, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- Date Posted: September 7, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Salary Range: $35,000 - $45,000
- Working Hours: 37.5 hrs/wk