Independent Living Specialist
Monroe Harding Inc
Monroe Harding is committed to viewing and interacting with youth from a Trauma Informed perspective. Staff understand normal and trauma impacted brain development and interact with youth in ways that encourage and restore normal brain functioning. Staff are curious about “what happened to the youth to cause current behavior” and work with them uniquely based upon their developmental level. Focus is on providing a safe and stable environment that encourages learning from mistakes and celebrating small advances in behavior or thought process. Staff models healthy emotional regulation skills, flexibility in working with others, and effective restoration of relationships after issues arise. Monroe Harding seeks individuals who enjoy adolescents and celebrates their uniqueness, are able to develop strong relationships and influence, and who are invested in their own personal growth and development as they seek to model effective behaviors for youth.
The Independent Living Specialist will partner with young adults who have been in foster care and help them transition into adulthood by providing case management and consultation services and assisting in providing a safe and consistent environment.
- Liaison with the Department of Children’s Services, community partners, schools and families.
- Write monthly and weekly reports on the progress of the youth.
- Guide and coach the youth in everyday life skills.
- Participate as a member of a case management team planning for the development of the individual youth in residence, and carrying out those plans in conjunction with the individual program plan.
- Responsible for teaching youth appropriate behaviors, utilizing various counseling and supporting techniques.
- Assist in scheduling necessary appointments and arrange transportation for youth.
- Be available at least once/week for youth to share his/her feelings and personal needs when appropriate.
- Active participant in the development and creation of program design.
Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology or a related field and one year experience.
- Ability to build rapport
- Listening Skills
- Crisis Management/De-Escalation
- Written Communication
Applicants must pass thorough background check and drug screen. Must have valid Tennessee driver’s license.
Additionally, The Diana Screen® is administered to all potential applicants to help ensure that ethical boundaries between children and adults are maintained. At Monroe Harding, the safety and protection of the youth who have been entrusted to us is our #1 priority.
Long Term Disability
Generaous Paid Time Off Package
How to Apply
Think you are interested in joining our team? Please submit a resume and cover letter to Evelyn Tidman at email@example.com. Please list the position for which you are applying in the cover letter.
Monroe Harding is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Date Posted: June 3, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Social / Human Services