Shower the People
Homelessness Engagement and Shower Bus Leader – AmeriCorps Member
Shower the People
Are you passionate about helping people experiencing homelessness? Do you believe in the power of simple acts of kindness? Help Shower The People provide showers and hygiene services to individuals in need throughout Nashville by coordinating mobile shower bus services.
Full Time, August 15,2022 – July 28, 2023
If you are interested in working at a small nonprofit where you are able to make a true difference in the lives of individuals experiencing homelessness, then this service role is for you! We are looking for an individual who is comfortable working with those who are unhoused and is willing to open their hearts and their minds to helping them. This AmeriCorps member should have the ability to be flexible in their workflow and value independence in completing assignments.
Over the course of the yearlong term, the member will manage all aspects of the shower volunteer program, complete a program evaluation, and strategize ways to enhance the experiences of volunteers and clients.
Our member will also participate in the weekly shower service and gain incredible insight into the lives of individuals experiencing homelessness. Previous members have told Shower the People that their service experience was life changing.
The member will gain experience with volunteer management, outreach, business development, as well as community engagement.
Nashville is powered by people of all ages, races, ethnicities, skin tones, sexes, genders, sexualities, religions, abilities, and socioeconomic statuses engaging in service together. This is a city where YOU matter and YOU make a difference. Join us as we tackle the community’s most pressing challenges through service by becoming a Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program member.
The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through generous support from Volunteer Tennessee, The Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, and AmeriCorps, the federal agency connecting individuals and organizations through service and volunteering to tackle the nation’s most pressing challenges.
- Serve with team at shower service to increase capacity and efficiencies
- Manage hygiene services volunteers
- Manage community engagement volunteer activities at schools, festivals, businesses, and in the warehouse
- Improve volunteer and client data collection
- Assist with setting up shower bus
- Assist STP team going into encampments to conduct supply drops and welfare checks during Cold Weather Outreach
- Work with Executive Director to improve workflow of shower/hygiene services.
Typical Day In This Position
We currently have shower service four times per week. The current Americorps member in this role serves four days a week: Monday is their admin/office day; Tuesday, they prep the bus for the week of shower service; Wednesday, they attend shower service; and Thursday, they wrap up their week completing any remaining tasks before a three-day weekend.
The member serves about 37.5 hours per week and can serve four or five days during the week to meet this requirement. Tuesday 4 p.m. -10 p.m., Wednesday 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. -9 p.m., and Thursday 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. are required hours.The member may set a regular schedule for their remaining hours.
(1) Working with individuals experiencing homelessness and/or in active addiction
(2) Communicating with volunteers quickly and effectively via email and phone
(3) Proficiency in basic computer skills, including attention to detail in data entry
Key abilities include:
(1) Willingness to drive a school bus
(2) Experience in first aid (will be taught)
Can professional experience be substituted for formal education: Yes
Lift and carry up to 30-50lbs; Responsibilities in this position may entail standing for extended periods of time; Responsibilities in the position may entail serving in the outdoors and potentially in inclement weather; Service environments include outdoor homeless encampments with exposed roots, hanging tree limbs, rocks, debris, narrow trails, and other hazard ; Office or service environment may include noisy environments; Service responsibilities require the member to communicate verbally via the telephone and/or computer; Responsibilities include driving a school bus; Service responsibilities require moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another;
Required Driver’s License: Yes
- $6,495 education award, upon completion of service contract
- Federal student loan forbearance and accrued interest payment
- Bronze-level health coverage through Healthcare.gov
- Training and professional development in nonprofit management
- $20,000 living allowance, paid in bi-weekly increments
How to Apply
Please apply through the AmeriCorps federal platform using this link.
- Date Posted: August 9, 2022
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 10/03/2022
- Salary Range: $20,000 living allowance
- Working Hours: 37.5 weekly