HIV Counseling & Testing Specialist
The HIV Counseling & Testing Specialist is responsible for HIV counseling, testing and screening activities at designated area hospital emergency departments and key community locations identified through socio-demographic and epidemiological tracking of the regional HIV epidemic. This position works closely with the Early Intervention and Clinical Site Services Manager to promote/cultivate/encourage community HIV testing and behavioral change, and increased use of bio-medical and structural interventions by community members at extremely high risk for HIV infection. This position also works to ensure seamless linkage to care for HIV positive people along with the Early Intervention Services team.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Conduct HIV testing at an assigned clinical site, St. Thomas Midtown ED / Vanderbilt Hospital ED / Metro General ED / and/or any other designated medical clinic, to achieve a grant goal of 5600 tests annually.
- Conduct HIV CTS at key outreach locations and utilizes staff and volunteers to assure rapid screening goals are met.
- Work as a supportive team member in order to ensure completion of 10,000 HIV tests overall.
- Conduct HIV/HCV testing at targeted outreach events that support Nashville CARES Safety First, Corrections Navigation, or My House.
- Build and maintain helpful professional relationships with clinical staff, providing education and support.
- Assist team with coverage of on-site, walk-in HIV/HCV/Syphilis or COVID testing.
- Design, develop and coordinate a minimum of 2 community CTS screening events per year.
- Work with groups of certified volunteers to assist program staff in expanding testing services to the community at large.
- Assist in development of community partnerships to enhance and optimize resources in advancing HIV prevention testing initiatives.
- Work closely with Early Intervention Services team and other staff outreach workers to ensure standardized continuity of referral and linkage to care, prevention and social services for newly diagnosed or lost to care clients.
- Documents activities, adheres to intervention and safety protocols, and assists the Associate Director of Prevention and Education, as needed, with output and outcome assessment of activities.
- Attends departmental, agency and community meetings as directed; complies with agency and department policies and procedures.
- Maintains needed and appropriate documentation of all services provided consistent with department and team Quality Assurance standards.
- High school diploma required, or GED completed.
- Associates degree in Health Education, college certificate or equivalent plus 2 years of experience in HIV prevention and/or LGBTQ health or social services. Two (2) additional years of work related experience can substitute for the AA degree
- Extensive HIV knowledge, sensitivity and willingness to work with people of diverse backgrounds, sexual orientations, as well as people with HIV/AIDS
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent presentation/facilitation skills
- Ability to work as part of a multicultural, multi-component education team
- Ability to keep sensitive client information confidential and maintain ethical boundaries and professional conduct
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and social media sites
- Ability to maintain flexible schedule; available to work day, evening and weekend hours is essential.
- Valid Tennessee Driver’s License, vehicle, and automobile liability insurance to facilitate local travel required for client/agency related business.
- Bachelor’s degree in health or social services field.
- Experience working in a hospital emergency department or medical clinic setting.
- Two years of professional or volunteer experience working with clients in HIV and/or social services setting.
- Bilingual skills
- HIV Rapid Testing experience
- Knowledge of HIV prevention, harm reduction, HIV/AIDS and STI, and PrEP/PEP
Salary: Competitive non-profit compensation
Competitive Benefits Include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, 403b, generous paid holidays as well as Paid Time Off policy (up to 27 PTO days accrued in first year) and more.
How to Apply
- Date Posted: April 28, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Clinician
- Service Area: Health (Physical, Mental)
- Working Hours: 40