High Impact Tutoring Leader – AmeriCorps Member
Do you believe public education is everyone’s concern? Are you passionate about supporting public school students? Join PENCIL in our work to support public education while working directly with students, tutors, and other community organizations.
Full Time, August 15,2022 – July 28, 2023
You will be a good fit for this position if you enjoy problem solving, value all community voices and respect people from diverse backgrounds. You will shine in this role if you have the ability to balance long-term planning with short-term trouble shooting. An interest in teaching, learning, and research will serve you well in this role.
You will spend your service supporting Accelerating Scholars, a high-impact tutoring program based in a partnership between Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS), PENCIL, and other community organizations. High-impact tutoring is a method of providing students with vital support in reading, math, and social emotional learning. This member will support tutor recruitment and retention, improve tutor effectiveness, bolster school and tutor communications, and provide training and support to tutors. In the program’s inaugural year, 2021-2022, it identified and served nearly 1700 students in grades 1,2,3,8, and 9 across 90 schools throughout Nashville.
While serving at PENCIL, you will gain skills in program design, training, volunteer recruitment and management, and grant reporting. You will also gain experience in several tech platforms including Salesforce, Excel, Word, and virtual tutoring platforms.
Nashville is powered by people of all ages, races, ethnicities, skin tones, sexes, genders, sexualities, religions, abilities, and socioeconomic statuses engaging in service together. This is a city where YOU matter and YOU make a difference. Join us as we tackle the community’s most pressing challenges through service by becoming a Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program member.
The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through generous support from Volunteer Tennessee, The Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, and AmeriCorps, the federal agency connecting individuals and organizations through service and volunteering to tackle the nation’s most pressing challenges.
- Recruit and communicate with tutors
- Retain tutors from previous service year
- Establish robust training plan for work-study students
- Develop recruitment plan for universities
- Coordinate volunteer appreciate events
- Train and support new volunteers including with technology assistance
Typical Day In This Position
Your days will vary, but will typically include tutoring one or two students, responding via phone and email to volunteer tutor support queries, joining program planning meetings with PENCIL’s partners, hosting recruitment info sessions over Zoom or at local service organizations, visiting schools to provide support around ongoing road blocks, and working with the Program Manager to plan program improvements.
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., about 37.5 hours per week, with occasional flexibility permitted when requested in advance.
Members should have experience with or the willingness to develop competencies in these areas:
(1) Working with diverse populations of tutors and students
(2) Teaching, tutoring or facilitating curriculum.
(3) Utilizing technology proficiently and engaging patience to teach technology systems to others
(4) Willingness to problem solve, collaborate with people with different backgrounds and ideologies, and work as a team.
Key abilities include:
(1) Professionalism in written and spoken communications
(2) Ability to quickly adjust to changes in programming.
(3) Proactively solving problems when they arise
- $6,495.00 education award, upon completion of service contract
- Federal student loan forbearance and accrued interest payment
- Bronze-level health coverage through Healthcare.gov
- Training and professional development in nonprofit management
- $20,000 living allowance, paid in bi-weekly increments
How to Apply
Please apply using the link: https://forms.office.com/r/4BZ11DvFuv
- Date Posted: April 7, 2022
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Education
- Start Date: 08/15/2022
- Salary Range: 20000
- Working Hours: 37.5