Guest Services Manager
National Museum of African American Music
The Guest Services Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Guest Services team. The primary objective of this team is to create a welcoming, informative, and positive experience for each guest and member entering the Museum. The GSM is proactive and sees the Museum through a visitor’s lens. The GSM coordinates staff efforts at entry points of the Museum, special exhibitions, and key locations across the Museum. The GS Manager is a champion of the guest purchase experience online, on site, and by phone. S/he is often the first NMAAM staff member with whom a Museum visitor interacts and must communicate knowledgeably and enthusiastically about exhibitions and other Museum activities as well as lead exhibition tours.
NMAAM is the only museum dedicated to preserving the legacy and celebrating the accomplishments of the many music genres created, influenced, or inspired by African Americans. The Museum will share the story of the American Soundtrack, integrating history and interactive technology to bring the musical heroes of the past into the present.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage an administrative team plus an on-site admission team of varying numbers, depending on the exhibition schedule.
- Determine and manage staffing levels (permanent and temporary), hire, and train staff. Project needs and staff costs for special exhibitions.
- Create schedules for all sales staff, including opportunities for GS staff to represent the Museum at off-site sales and promotional opportunities.
- Develop a consistent training program for onboarding staff that includes the NMAAM hospitality standards and implement staff performance metrics.
- Oversee the process of responding to guest feedback and complaints, including those regarding ticket or admission issues.
- Work directly with curatorial, marketing, and education departments to gather information about events, promotions, and opportunities to communicate to members and guests via a daily schedule for guests and/or the screens at the admission desks.
- Develop timely and seasonal ideas that provide surprises to delight guests.
- Handle timely tasks and prioritize workflow in a fast-paced guest-serving environment
This is a full-time position located in the Operations Department at the National Museum of African American Music (NMAAM) with variable/flexible working hours to include weekends, holidays, evenings, and special events as required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality Management, Customer Service Management, Business or related field or any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Five or more years’ experience in customer/visitor services management.
- Strong experience with point-of-sale/ticketing software and donor/customer database.
- Cash handling, basic accounting skills and financial reporting skills needed.
- Supports the mission, vision and strategic goals of NMAAM to serve both internal and external customers.
- Conducts self in a professional manner; maintains appropriate professional appearance.
- Follows and supports policies and procedures of NMAAM.
- Participates as a team member utilizing a collaborative style to achieve mutual goals.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal, organizational, time management and leadership skills.
- Creativity and self-initiative.
- Strong customer service skills.
- High degree of tact and diplomacy in dealing with member and guest issues.
- Must have the ability to assess visitor concerns and follow through to resolution with tact.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Must be competent in cash handling.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends as needed, and lead team during holiday breaks when peak visitation occurs.
All Staff Duties:
- Serves as leader to assure strong communications between NMAAM and all external constituents.
- Actively seeks to learn the history of NMAAM.
- Supports and promotes the museum’s mission.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of special events.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
NMAAM offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits and compensation package that includes medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, short and long-term disability, generous paid time off, and a matched 401(k).
How to Apply
We invite you to apply by sending your resume with cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date Posted: September 25, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Salary Range: 50,000 - 55,000
- Working Hours: Variable/flexible working hours to include weekends, holidays, evenings, and special events as required.