Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN
Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN
What you’ll do:
Determines proposal concept by identifying, clarifying opportunities, determining needs, studying requests for proposal (RFPs), and attending internal planning meetings. Prepares proposals and reports by the deadline by gathering information from others and formatting content to funders requirements, writing proposal drafts, and obtaining internal approvals.
- Develops and maintains an understanding of hunger issues in Middle Tennessee as well as a working knowledge of the organization’s operations and programs.
- Researches and identifies high quality prospective grant opportunities with corporations, foundations, not-for-profit and government entities.
- Communicates with funders to cultivate and maintain a positive relationship and responds to funder information requests.
- Maintains orderly and accessible record of all communications, the status of proposals, copies of proposals and reports and other records necessary to an orderly, productive and ethical grants program.
When & Where: Typical day shift schedule of Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM to work primarily out of our distribution center in the MetroCenter area of Nashville, TN. The nature of the position occasionally requires work outside of normal business hours (pressing deadlines, donor engagement opportunities, disaster response, community events, etc.).
Is this you?
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required. Bachelor’s Degree in a business, sales, fundraising, communications or marketing disciplines preferred.
- Experience: At least 3 years of experience with extensive grant writing responsibilities required. Specific experience writing 6-figure proposals and government grant writing preferred.
- Skills: Strengths in technical and persuasive written communication, budget and statistical work, research and data-based decision making as well as computer and technology use.
- Other requirements: our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background, Motor Vehicle Record and a pre-employment drug test. Current Driver’s License and automobile insurance are also required. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case by case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity and job relation).
What Second Harvest has to offer:
Work with a purpose: As one of Middle Tennessee’s largest nonprofits, our local hunger relief work is uniquely rewarding, hands on and solutions oriented. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results. Our mission is to feed hungry people and work to solve hunger issues in our community. In the 2020 fiscal year, we distributed more than 41 million pounds of food to more than 460 Partner Agencies, providing more than 36.9 million meals to hungry children, families, and seniors throughout our 46-county service area. A career with Second Harvest ensures that you not only earn a paycheck, but also help your local community through meaningful work. If you are passionate about serving your neighbors in need and are committed to our mission of ending hunger, we invite you to join our 120+ person team in the fight against hunger, as we work to achieve our vision of a hunger free community.
Award winning workplace: we are a best in class workplace because we are passionate and people focused – we listen, respect, care and challenge each other, so that our community can count on us for our critical work. Our employees have identified us among The Tennessean’s Top Workplaces seven times based solely on employee surveys and feedback. We are invested in our team and offer frequent whole-person wellness opportunities through our Harvest Wellbeing Program. We focus on staff physical and mental health, financial empowerment, personal and professional development as well as social and community engagement. There is ample opportunity to be engaged and grow with Second Harvest.
Compensation & Benefits: Second Harvest is proud to offer rich and affordable total compensation packages. Total compensation for full-time employment includes many benefits, in addition to base pay. The time off policies include: 10 holidays, 12+ vacation, 12+ sick and personal time as required by law. Traditional benefits offered include medical (employee-only coverage paid 100% by employer) dental and vision. Additional available benefits include retirement (with a generous employer match), disability insurance (short and long-term), life insurance as well as long-term care insurance.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity: Second Harvest embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of the communities in which we serve. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and promote a talented and diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential. We provide equal employment to all applicants and employees regardless of race, religion, color, gender, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or other legally protected characteristics.
How to Apply
Think this sounds like a role and workplace where you would thrive? Apply now!
You can express interest in joining our team, in any of the following ways:
- Online: employment application on our website – http://www.secondharvestmidtn.org/job-opportunities/?gnk=job&gni=8a7883a8766d9a530176f373a2fa3932&gns=CNM. Resume and cover letter can be uploaded with applications on the website as well.
- Email: Resume and cover letter can be sent to our Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In person: applications can be completed by visiting us on-site at any of our distribution centers, locations can be found on our website at https://www.secondharvestmidtn.org/contact/.
Thanks for your interest in working for Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN. We love it here and think you will too.
- Date Posted: January 12, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Working Hours: M-F, 8 AM - 4:30 PM (37.5 hrs/ wk)